Book III: Solomon II

Now the whole earth was as paradise once again as the good King Solomon reigned righteously in the eyes of the Lord and there was no want or need in all the Earth. Every man dealt with one another fairly and there was peace for a time and war was far from the minds of all peoples. The great cities of old were built at this time like Cyrus, which now sits on the edge of the great desert, and the now lost City of Solomon buried in the great desert, that bears the same name.

Now, the Seraphim still walked the Earth in those days and Solomon had shown great mercy and pardoned those that served Ziz in the days of slavery. For a time no animosity passed between The Seraphim and Mankind, but the Seraphim began to remember a time before Solomon, and even a time before Ziz, where they were masters of the Earth, and answered only to the Lord. Many were even alive during those days for the lord had blessed them with long life and age did not touch them. The Seraphim became jealous of Solomon and worked in secret to remove him from his rightful throne and kill the Lord’s anointed.

One night the chief of the Seraphim, named Shemesh, along with many others marched on Solomon's great ziggurat and under cover of darkness, attempted to murder him. The King’s guards were unable to subdue them for the Seraphim were giants and mighty creatures, even their sharpest arrows failed against them, for their skin was like bronze. The Seraphim quickly arrived in the courts of the King with bloodlust in their hearts, but Solomon was waiting for them. The Lord had visited Solomon in a dream and told him of what the Seraphim had intended to do, so he set a trap for them to frustrate their plot.

Solomon said to his men: “Underneath my throne room was once a great well, as wide and as deep as a man could dig! We shall use this as a snare for that devil, Shemesh and his followers. I say to you, a door will be cut into the floor of my palace and when the Seraphim come to spill my blood, they shall fall into darkness and darkness shall keep them for all time.” Solomon’s men built the trap according to his designs and they waited for Shamesh to launch is plot.

When Shemesh and his assassins entered the throne room, they found themselves falling down, into the ancient well. The Seraphim were swallowed by the deep and the dark and they stayed there for all of their long years and even unto today. Solomon had thought that if the assassins were kept alive and not executed as traitors, the Seraphim would see the mercy of Solomon and cease their plot to regain dominance over all mankind. To the Seraphim, however, what the king did was abhorrent in their eyes, to spend all the days of their long lives trapped in darkness instead of their spirits bathing in the light of God, it was a greaves sin. So the Seraphim went to war against Solomon and there would be no chance for peace.

Many great wars were fought across the whole of the Earth, the hills became plains and the mountains shook when Solomon met the Seraphim in battle. Many cities of men were made barren, and the temples of the Seraphim were torn down. Blood was spilt again upon the Earth as innumerable battles were fought from the great Mountain of Ascension, to the Sea of Cyrus and even unto the very ends of the Earth. It is said that the number of men who lived upon the Earth was halved during this time. Many years passed and finally, the Lord caused Solomon to become victorious and the Seraphim were all laid low by the will of God, and the might of Solomon. When the war was over, only Shemesh and his assassins remained, and as the last of the Seraphim, there was peace.

After a time, mankind grew in number once again and spread out over the face of Earth. The great cities were rebuilt and the glory of the Kingdom of Solomon was restored. But the Earth did not forget the blood that was spilt upon it and peace was never again seen upon the Earth. In those days, and the days after also, the Djinn began to walk the Earth. Because the discord between men increased, the Lord came again to Solomon and said unto him; “Go and make tame the forests, subdue the seas, and make straight the path of Righteousness according to the wisdom that I have given you.” Solomon listened to The Lord and erected a great golden pillar for all to see and on it was written the laws of Solomon.
It is written;

I. Seek the way of Righteousness above all else and follow the Lord God’s commands.

II. Seek not to harm or take the life of your fellow man, try first to speak to each other in all things.

III. Seek not the way of fools, let wisdom light your path and do not let your feet rush quickly towards anger.

IV. Seek contentment in all things, do not be covetous for riches and poverty both are the Lord's to give.

V. Seek only one wife and do set your foot in perversion of any kind, for that is sin.

VI. Seek not Greed of any kind or the hoarding of wealth, riches spent may be a paradise, but money hoarded makes a desert.

VII. Seek mercy in all things, if a man offends by his word or his deed, forgive him if you can, but judge harshly those who mock the law.

When the Laws were revealed all looked upon them and stood in awe of the great wisdom of Solomon and all who read the laws kept them in their hearts forever. A fire was lit atop the pillar and Solomon lifted his voice to sing a new song (This is one of the few songs of Solmon still kept alive by the tradition of the Magi, and its called “The Song of the Lawgiver”):

“In all the world I’ve seen no fairer face than that of the almighty.

He keeps me in his right hand and destroys my enemies with his left.

Their blood flows like a fountain down the mountain of God.

Who can stand against me? What weapon can pierce my armor? Who can bear my crown?

The gods of this world are fallen by my hand yesterday, and how many more will fall by my sword tomorrow?

It is righteousness that leads me and mercy that hems me behind.

And when all of my long years are spent, I will again look upon that fair face.”

Though the Law was given, some men hardened their hearts towards it and were considered lawless in the eyes of the Lord. Violence continued to increase throughout the Earth and men turned their backs to the ways of Solomon and lived selfish lives.