FOURTEEN

JENNIE

***

The Climb

October 17th 2015

***

I'm putting stitches into the hand of a four year old boy when my phone chimes against my thigh. It probably isn't the best timing in the world, because the child is in a rather compromising position, but I literally forget everything I'm doing. It's probably only a second in reality, but for me it feels like an eternity, because there is only one person who would be texting me to the chime that I heard.

It chimes again, and I look up in chagrin. "I'm sorry." I direct my gaze to the mother staring at my coat. "I would turn it off, but I'd have to re-glove and I don't want your son to wait."

I try to make the best of it even as another message comes barreling through, because suddenly my heart is that much lighter. "Hey, Bailey." I direct my attention to the young boy staring at me. "How are you doing kiddo?" He is drowsy from sedatives, but he's alert enough to focus on me and smile. "I'm almost done here, I promise."

"Okay, it feels funny." He shakes his free hand.

I give him a bright smile, looping the needle. "It kinda tickles, doesn't it?" He nods as I tug another stitch into place. "You're very brave. Your mother told me all about how you saved Ruby."

"I love Ruby. The bad men were going to get her."

In truth, it was his toy soldiers that were the aggressors, but who am I to judge what limits of pretending people will go to in the name of love.

"Can you think of anyone who loves you as much as you love Ruby? Who wouldn't want to see you hurt?"

He looks over at his parents with what could possibly be the most confident expression I've ever seen. It isn't that look which catches and hooks my emotions, jangling my heart, while my phone lingers with a text from my wife. It's the look he is reciprocated with, the tender, honest, warm look in his mother's eyes.

I clear my throat, shaking the moment away.

"That's right, they do." I smile emotionally and tug the final stitch into place. "Now promise me," I say holding up three fingers as he mimes me with his uninjured hand, "no more G.I. Joes breaking through windows to save your dog." He nods and I laugh lightly.

"Thank you, Doctor Kim."

I stand quickly, snapping my gloves off so I can shake the parent's hands.

Bailey's mother eyes my pocket where my phone must be illuminated through the light coat.

"It's my pleasure. We will get you released within the next thirty minutes or so. A nurse will be in to bandage his hand and give you the release papers and prescriptions." I wave goodbye and turn, letting the utter elation at having Lisa actually text me carry me through the curtain and into the break room down the hall. I'm grateful it's empty because I shut the door and lean against it as I pull my phone free. My breath is shaking as I stare down at the face.

Are you a resident at Saint James?

Please text me back, even though I don't deserve it.

Are you there?

I read them over and over as my throat chokes tight and I text back the answer, swimming in the euphoria of hearing from her. It sucks away the tiredness and ache in my bones from the forty hour shift. Drifting on my feet, I don't see the bland white walls around me. I only see her as the inexplicable fate we share wraps me in warmth.