Chapter 188 - Ticking Clock

Chapter Cover: Elizabeth tending to some flowers as she had a smile upoon her face.

The Mable family doctor was a well dressed man in his late sixties. He had grayish hair upon his head and was dressed in a well made suit. He wasn't wearing glasses upon his face and his face looked remarkably younger than I expected him to be. The man had arrived two hours ago and during that time, he had spent bend over Elizabeth's unconscious form working and taking notes upon his small notebook. James and I were standing around the room wanting to know how the girl's condition was. I may not like Elizabeth much because of how suspicious I was of her, but I never wished her any type of harm so I was a little worried about her health.

Also, the sight of that ghoulish creature hovering beside Elizabeth's unconscious form earlier was causing some serious concern within me. That thing…whatever it was I could feel that it was somewhat connected to what was happening to Elizabeth. When I asked her about it earlier today, Elizabeth had recognized what I was talking about and she had tried to play it off.

The look on her face when I mentioned it was etched in my mind.

She was afraid.

"I just don't understand it," the doctor said.

"What do you mean?" James asked suddenly, "Is Miss Mable going to be alright?"

"Has she been taking the medication that I prescript to her?" the doctor asked, his eyes turning toward the butler.

"I have been strict with your previous instructions Doctor Elliot," James said staring the man, "Why are you asking?"

"Her condition seems to have worsened than when I first examined her," Doctor Elliot said, "It was like the medicine I have given to her isn't having any type of effect at all."

"The medicine isn't working?" the butler said shocked, "Are you sure you've given her the right one?"

"I have been doing this job for more than forty years," the doctor said, his voice taking a hard edge, "I have recognized the symptoms that she had and given her the medicine necessary for her to make a full recovery. I am as puzzled as you are about this phenomenon."

"Could healing magic help?" I asked.

The doctor gave me a glance.

"I doubt magic would do much in this situation," he answered, "While it is a reasonable option, her symptoms would have lessened with the medicine considering they were created using magic. They were the strongest dose of the medicine I could gave her and if they don't work, then there is not much I can do."

The man turned his attention toward his briefcase and closed it.

"I have given her a small sedative to help her sleep," he said, "And I have made a even stronger dose of the medicine for her. As soon as she is able, you are to give it to her understood?"

James nodded at him.

"Yes sir," he said.

The man nodded at him before picking his briefcase up.

"Let me walk you to the door Doctor," James said, "Eve if it's not too much, would you stay here for a few moments?"

I gave him a light nod, "Sure."

James seems relieved at my answer before walking out of the room with the doctor and closing the door behind them. I could hear them talking as they were walking away until the sound faded away leaving me alone inside the room with the slumbering Elizabeth. I walked toward the girl and saw that her face had gained some color within her cheeks as she was softly breathing.