𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐄𝐍

X

X

VALENTINA'S knee bounced while we waited in the waiting area of the gynecologist. My eyes gazed around the seating area, gaining looks back from women that made me look right back at Valentina.

"Are you okay?" I reached over to take her hand, resting it over her bouncing knee. She pried her eyes from the receptionist and forced a smile. "Nervous?" reluctantly she nodded before exhaling deeply.

"Kind of," she cleared her throat, pulling at her white jacquard mini dress. "I just want to make sure everything is okay. I'm too anxious, maybe I'll go for a walk."

Valentina went to stand and I followed. "Valentina Bianchi!" just before we could walk out the door, we were called back for the ultrasound. Valentina looked at me before taking my wrist and leading us toward one of the doors that lined the short hallway.

I held her purse with my free hand, standing to the side when we entered the room after the doctor. "You can go ahead and take a seat on the examination chair, Valentina. I will be back in just a moment."

After the doctor left I took a seat on the chair next to her. She removed her heels and laid back, placing her hands on her stomach and tapping gently.

"You want to get lunch after this?" I traced my fingers along Valentina's in an attempt to take her mind off of right now. "We could go out, get takeout or I could cook you something. Whatever you want, you get," she smiled and turned her head to look at me.

"Anything?" the door opened only a second after Valentina's question. The doctor scanned the papers on the clipboard before placing it on the counter. She smiled at us while putting on the latex gloves.

"Since you're early on we recommend a transvaginal ultrasound just to see the baby better. You're about nine weeks, correct?" I nodded quickly. She took a seat on the circular stool, grabbing the longer tool attached to the ultrasound machine. "Could you spread your legs for me? You'll feel a bit of pressure and it'll be slightly uncomfortable but shouldn't be painful. Almost like getting a pap smear."

Valentina pulled up her dress while bending her legs with her knees pointed toward the ceiling. "How often do you get ultrasounds while pregnant?" I leaned forward, my finger tracing circles over the tattoos on her shoulders.

"Two is recommended, the first is to determine the due date and the second is to confirm normal anatomy and the sex of the baby. Some women have multiple, everyone's pregnancy is different," Valentina shifted uncomfortably when the doctor guided the probe inside of her. "How have you been feeling?"

I straightened my posture, placing my hands in my pocket. I peeked at the screen, showing nothing but black and white.

"Just nauseous, a little lightheaded, my appetite is up and down... and a little bit of tiredness," the doctor smiled and slightly turned the screen for us to see. "Is the baby okay?"