Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Millie survived the rest of that week, trying desperately to not make a mistake. She felt her job hung by a thread, and she could hardly sleep at night with worry. Where would she go if she lost this job? She had no money and no other options. Her questions would have answers exactly a week after she was hired.

“Mr. Shannon wants to see you in his study directly, Miss Millie” Clayton told her as she was downing the rest of her coffee.

“Me?” She gurgled quickly.

“Uh huh” Clayton smiled.

Millie placed her cup down and stood to go up the stairs. Clayton gave her a pitying look and went on reading his paper. Millie gathered her courage and went up the stairs to Trey’s study. The door sat open, and her employer sat behind his desk, bent over a large map. He buried his fingers in his black hair, obviously trying to concentrate. He blew out some air after a moment, and removed his hands. His hair stuck up straight, and Millie resisted the urge to laugh at him. Instead, she knocked on the doorframe. He looked up and smoothed his hair back down.

“Mornin’ Millie” He said.

Millie hesitantly entered the office and stood in front of his desk. A large area map covered the top of his desk, and a pencil trail traced a few places.

“Sleep well?” Trey asked.

Millie nodded.

“Okay” Trey leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms. His penetrating stare still intimidated her. “If you’re going to work for me now, you’re gonna have to talk”.

Millie smiled. “You--you’re keeping me?”

“I have decided that, yes” Trey said. “I’m just wondering. Do I scare you or something?”

Millie resisted the urge to tell the full truth. “I’ve never been a big talker, I’m afraid” she simply said.

Trey smiled. “Guess if you did talk a lot, I wouldn’t get to see you smiled as often”.

Millie felt her face heat as she tried not to widen her smile and look foolish.

“I’m…just not good with words, I guess” She found herself saying and resisted a huff. Number one rule to staying unattached was not to tell anyone anything personal. Even something as small as a habit.

“Well, I’ve never noticed. Now, I have to leave in the morning so you’ll have to take care of Quinn for a few days. It shouldn’t be but a few days this time around, but you never know” Trey explained.

Millie felt like panicking, and it confused her. She was scared to death of the man, yet his presence gave her a level of confidence when it came to his son. She had gotten used to seeing his handsome face every morning.

Now where had that thought come from?

*****

Trey threw his saddle bags over his horse early the next morning and rode out to meet his men. Adam, Wes, and Jed were all at the old cabin on the edge of his property where they normally met up. Wes met him as he rode up.

“Wes, what are you doin’ here?” Trey asked, swinging his leg over his horse to dismount.

“Just in case you changed yer mind” Wes grumbled, rubbing the back of his neck.

“Not a chance. Don’t worry, you’ll still get your share” Trey said.

“Yeah, but it’s not like bein’ in on the action” Wes opened the door to the cabin to head inside.