Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Trey dismounted his horse at the entrance of his, barn, ready to go to sleep and never wake up. His joints ached and his stomach had a knot it that prevented his muscles from relaxing. Clayton went to take care of the horses, and Trey walked to the house, dreading having to climb the stairs.

Jess and Mariah came running out of the house. “Did you get her? Where is she?” they asked in unison.

“No I didn’t get her. If anything, she still hates me” Trey groaned, placing his left boot on the bottom step.

“I don’t think she hates you. Don’t seem like she’s capable of hating anyone. Just needs more time” Mariah said.

Trey knew she was just trying to make him feel better, but she wasn’t helping him at all.

“I’m just gonna go on to bed. I’ll see you guys in the morning” Trey walked stiffly up the steps and went to the house. Staring at the winding staircase in front of him, Trey felt like sleeping on the sofa in the parlor.

“Oh, please stop your crying, child” A shrill British voice said.

The voice came from the parlor, and it sounded like it was coming nearer. The sound of a squealing baby neared and Trey had a new sense of purpose getting up the stairs. It was no use. Andria Bowers caught him before he was out of sight.

“There you are, Mr. Shannon. I was wondering when you would get home. This child has been crying all day. Would you mind taking him?” she asked.

Trey pinched the bridge of his nose, bidding the oncoming headache to go away. Millie had always found a way to make Quinn quiet down. He retraced his steps and took his son from the British caregiver he had hired.

“I’ll take care of him. Good night” He turned and started back up the stairs.

“Wait. There are two men in your study waiting for you” Andria said.

Trey scowled. He was obviously not going to get to bed anytime soon. “Thank you, Miss Andria. I’ll take care of it.”

He walked up to his study and closed the door behind him.

“Adam, Jed. What’s wrong?” he asked.

“We were wondering if you planned on going on another job anytime soon. Me and Jed, we’re near broke” Adam said.

Jed sighed. “I wouldn’t be broke if I hadn’t gave all my money to you.”

“I’ll pay you back, Jed” Adam said.

Jed nodded. “You bet you will.”

Trey walked to the corner of the room to his safe. “I’ll spot you a little, Adam. You better not spend this on whiskey and women, ya hear?” Trey put in the combination to the safe and opened it.

“Alright, Trey” Adam grumbled.

Trey withdrew some money and shut the door before placing Quinn on the floor to run around. He placed the money on the table. “Ya’ll split that. I’ll be thinking about our next job.”

Truth was, Trey didn’t know if there would be a next job. He needed to settle down and stop risking his life. Quinn needed a father. He was starting to not like his outlaw life.

Should I turn myself in?

*****

“Well, are you going to tell me or not?” Sheriff Avery stood.

What am I doing? This isn’t forgiveness.

Millie stammered “I-I changed my mind. Any word on my father’s killer?” Millie asked.