Chapter 14

Unedited. Read at your own risk:)

Chapter 14

“Turn yourself in? Trey, no!” Millie knelt at Trey’s feet, her heart pounding in her chest as her hands shook with fear.

“Do you see another way? It says right there” Trey thumped the Bible on his desk.

He looked pale, and his eyes were wild with a weird emotion she couldn’t place.

“There’s no way I can stand it. We were supposed to be married, Trey” Millie sat, leaning her forehead against his knee.

“I know” came Trey’s short reply.

Hot tears spilled down her cheeks, and she knew that life as she knew it was about to change.

Why, God? Why does he have to be taken from me?

She felt her shoulders heave and Trey’s hand stroke her hair.

What if something went sour and he got more time than was due time… or worse?

The condition of the state prison and how they treated their prisoners was the stuff of nightmares, and not anything she could willingly allow her love to be subjected to.

That was all she could ask God. Not for peace, not for patience, not for kindness or grace. Just why.

The voice of her father came into her mind before she could stop it.

Her thread. Her thread had broken and her world was shattered on the ground like a broken piece of china beyond repair. There was nothing holding her world together.

“I need some time, Trey,” she sobbed.

“M’kay” he said, his voice low and compassionate.

He had no reason to be so caring. It was he who was risking his own life, not her. He should be the one arguing with God, not comforting the one who was.

Some time later, Millie sat in her floor beside her window, pouring her heart out into the thin air and sobbing all the way.

“I don’t know what I’ll do without him, Lord. He’s my everything in this world. I’ve come to love him more than I can stand, and Quinn needs his father. I know how important a father is, and I can’t allow Quinn to be deprived of that.”

Why was she telling God what she was gonna do? She should be listening for His guidance.

A verse popped into her mind. Joshua chapter one verse seven, “Only be thou strong and very courageous that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest.”

She wasn’t being strong and very courageous at all. How could God use her for His purposes if she was so weak? If Trey was strong enough to do this, then she would have to be as well. They would make it through this with God and each other.

They would have to.

Trudging toward Trey as he sat in the parlor staring as the fire danced over the embers of the morning fire, Millie swallowed her fear and shuffled her feet to make herself known.

Trey turned toward her. “Mornin’, Millie” he said.

“Good morning” she said more timidly than she had hoped it would be.

“You okay?” Trey asked.

They seemed to be asking each other that question a lot these days.