Setting the stage

Sanam Khan took a deep breath "Bas elections tak ki baat hai, Khaani",she told herself,"Uske baad tum wapas New York chali jaogi. Tumhe bas elections tak yeh sab jhelna hai.". She put on her Gucci shades and checked her reflection in the Islamabad Airport's washroom before stepping out.

______________________________________
Twenty-three year old Sanam Khan is the youngest child of Sonya and Salman Khan. Her father is one of the leading politicians of Pakistan and the Vice-president of Awam-e-Pakistan(AeP) party. A third generation politician, the Khan family has been a part of Pakistan's mainstream politics ever since its creation and is believed to be a major draw for the Pathan vote bank. The Khans were proud Pathans and proudly flaunted  their Pathan riwayat and tehzeeb. Needless to say,  twenty-eight years ago when Salman, the younger of the two Khan brothers of the Khan political legacy showed up unannounced at the Khan mansion with his newly-wedded wife, it was quite a scandal. To Jalal Khan, Khaani's grandfather it was a betrayal of the worst kind. He had sent his  favourite son to Harvard for higher studies. Upon his return, he was going to get fix his marriage with the daughter from a renowned business family in Peshawar and then launch his political career from thereon. Never in his wildest dreams did he think his son would marry a class fellow -  lawyer and an Urdu Mujahir at that!And bring her here!Jalal Khan's famous Pathan temper flared as he aimed his hunting rifle on his son. He would have pulled the trigger had Shiasta begum, Salman's mother not come in between. After much pleading and threats of suicide from Shiasta begum, the newly-wed couple were allowed into the fold but not before Jalal giving an ominous warning to his son,"Main bhi dekhta hu teri yeh foreign-returned biwi kab tak yaha rahegi!".

Sure enough, his words proved true. Life for Sonya Khan nee Hussain in the cloistered Khan Mansion was a difficult one. Having been raised in the liberal and cosmopolitan New York environment, Sonya was always encouraged by her parents to study and become self-sufficient. Her education was a matter of pride for her parents and her. But her in-laws saw it as a matter of shame. She was willing to sacrifice her dreams of working as a lawyer for Salman, thinking that the difference she will make as the wife of a politician will compensate. But pretty soon, she realised that the life of a Pakistani politician's wife was much different than that of a Jackie Kennedy in the US. Nobody expected her to give speeches. Hell, nobody expected her to even speak a word in front of her in-laws! The Khan family belonged to the right wing in the political spectrum. The women in the family were expected to rear children, host parties and make small-talk with other politicians wife.

And violence was the part and parcel of a politician's life. As she witnessed, when she first set foot in the house, the Khan family loved their guns. Not only were they accompanied by armed guards wherever they went but the men of the family kept guns in their person as well. When she tried to stop Salman for carrying a gun he quietly said, "Mulk ke haalaat kharab hai Sonya, yeh sab karna padhta hai.". And he wasn't wrong, almost every day there was some headline about some politician from some party being gunned down by the rival faction. Six years into the marriage, when she was pregnant with Sanam, Sonya and Salman decided that they had enough. This was not the future they wanted for their five-year old son Sarim and  unborn daughter. The elections were done. Her father-in-law's party was anticipated to form the government and Salman's elder brother Yousuf would be declared his successor. Now was the perfect time for Salman to bow out. But fate had other plans.

The very day she gave birth to her daughter a bomb set off in her father-in-law's car, blowing him into pieces. And that changed everything. Battle lines were drawn. Investigations and committees were formed and counter-attacks happened on both sides. Salman had decided to stay back and help his brother consolidate his power within the party. Sonya was disheartened but she soldiered on, naively thinking that their plans would resume once the situation improved. But then an incident took place, forcing Sonya into a plane to New York without Salman. Shaista Begum, Khaani's bereaved grandmother, blamed her for her husband's death. Standing next to her husband's remains, in the presence of friends, family and renowned guests, she ordered her younger son to divorce his wife and disown his daughter.
"Paida hote hi yeh mere shauhar ko kha gayi. Iss ko dafa kar yaha se!",she thundered,". Sonya, who protectively held the new-born Khaani, looked around her. The murmur of aggreement among her relatives and the lack of defence for a day-old baby boiled her blood. It was then she took a decision: She and her children would take the first flight to New York with or without Salman.

A month later, Salman saw his children and Sonya off, cheerfully promising a tearful Sarim that he will join them soon. But Sonya did not smile at his words. He will not come. She knew, even if he wanted to. The legacy was just too strong in his blood.

_____________________________________

The moment Khaani stepped outside the airport, her eyes fell on a placard carrying her name. Chalo, last time ki tarah ek ghanta intezar to nahi karaya...dadi shayad achche mood mein hai, she thought dryly. She quietly motioned the guard, who took the luggage trolley from her and led her to the car. When Khaani opened the passenger door of the car, she was greeted by a bouquet of flowers. She smiled at the person holding them. It was her beloved brother, Sarim.
______________________________________

Precap: "Excuse me", Khaani said, tapping on the shoulder of a tall man, who rudely jerked her hand away. Khaani repeated the action. "Arre dekh nahi rahe main phone par baat kar raha hu!", Mir Hadi snapped turning around. "Gaadi hataye mujhe apni gaadi nikaalni hai!" Khaani yelled back angrily.