An unlikely ally

Khaani entered the party behind Anjum, her eyes scanning the room for Ayeza. It turns out luck was on Khaani's side. Just the night after her nightout with Hadi, Anjum was invited to a party being organised by Shiza, Anjum's classfellow and Ayeza's cousin. The impromptu party was being held at Shiza's apartment for Ayeza. The ocassion itself was something Khaani was sure Ayeza wouldn't be happy about: a party celebrating Ayeza's newly single status. While Khaani personally felt that surviving a relationship with a man like Mir Hadi was surely something to celebrate, she just couldn't imagine his ex-partner announcing her newly-single status with a party.

Pretty soon, she came face to face with her host. "Finally", Shiza exclaimed hugging Anjum,"Kitni deir kardi tumne and that's Khaani right, your cousin?". "Hi", Khaani said pleasantly, extending her hand. "Meet my cousin, Ayeza", Shiza said looking at the beautiful girl standing moodily next to her. "Hello, Ayeza", Khaani greeted her, extending her hand. The girl didn't take her hand. Rather, she stared at her weirdly. "I am sorry", Ayeza replied,"But aapko maine pehle kahi dekha hai...I can't remember kaha... shayad TV par. Are you an actress?". Before Khaani could give an answer, Shiza said,"She is Sarim Khan's sister Ayeza, woh jo uss Mir Hadi ko elections mein harane waala hai!". Ayeza's confused expression changed into one of alarm. "I hope that's not going to be problem", Khaani said quickly, trying to salvage the situation,"It's a social event after all. Aur maine tumhare break-up ke baare mein bhi suna...Shiza told Anji you wouldn't mind..." Ayeza shook her head and said,"Of course I don't mind. I'm sorry I was just taken aback. You're welcome to stay Sanam.". Khaani smiled.
______________________________________

After drinking and dancing, it was time for games. "Ok girls!", Shiza announced,"The game is hum mein se koi apne ex ki annoying habits ko list karega. Aur jo jo relate kar sakta hai woh ek ek shot piyega.". One by one the girls got up from their place and listed the annoying habits of their ex. The list ranged from smelly socks to habitual cheater. Finally, it was Khaani's turn.

In her entire life, Khaani had been in two serious relationships; at eighteen years old with a fellow Pakistani classmate. She had called things off when he(without even asking her) sent a marriage proposal to her home. Her second relationship was with Adam, a British photographer, when she was twenty. They dated for about six months until he got a job with Vogue France and had to move to Paris and both agreed that long distance relationship was something they did not believe in. They were still very good friends though. Before coming to Pakistan, she went on dates a number of times but it was very casual. Nothing to complain about. She knew she had to say something. Her eyes fell on Ayeza, like everyone else, was waiting for her to start; an idea came to her. Finally Khaani spoke up,"My ex-boyfriend was a typical bad boy. Drinking, partying and womanising. Girlfriends toh aise badalta tha(chuckling) jaise log kapde badalte hai. Main yeh sab kuch jaanti thi... I don't know why...I thought mere saath he would be different. I thought he really loved me and we had something special. Hum log kaafi time tak saath the. Phir ek din achanak he stopped taking my calls. Mujhe uske building mein aane se ban kardia. Uske friends-jo kabhi mere friends hua karte the- acted like they didn't know me. Aur phir mujhe pata chala ke woh pehle engaged tha. He was two-timing his fiance with me. I never felt so used in my entire-". There was the sound of a glass breaking. It was Ayeza. She flung her glass on the floor and stormed inside her room. "Kya hua?", Khaani wondered aloud, feigning a shocked expression. Shiza replied,"Please don't mind...tumhare baaton ne usse uske ex ki yaad dila di. That Hadi was a complete @$$ to her! Bilkul tumhare ex jaisa. You know he didn't even have the guts to break-up with her in person. Uske dost ke phone karke yeh kaha ke Ayeza usse harass karna chhod de!Can you believe it?". Khaani scowled and said,"How disgusting...Shiza, if you don't mind kya main jaakar Ayeza se baat kar sakti hu? I feel so guilty. Yeh party tumne usse cheer up karne ke liye rakha tha aur maine apne baaton se uska mood kharab kar diya. I can very well understand what she is going through.". Shiza nodded and led her to her bedroom.