Chapter 41

The queen knows what you look like, Leila.

8 words, constantly swirling through my head.

8 words that would be the reason I would not get a blink of sleep until I had the queens head in my fangs.

None of this was fair. None of it.

I didn't even get the chance to train with Luca. My wolf was still recluded, unable to speak to me. None of this was what we had planned. All I had was me, my armor, and those damned green eyes mother had cursed me with.

Kate's cottage was begining to shrink in its size, making it harder for me to catch my breath and forcing waves of robust dizziness through my entire being. For the first time in a while, I didn't know what to do. I had no fucking idea what was the next step in my comical idea of what saving humanity would be.

Stressed, I palmed my forhead with both hands.

Was my dizziness the result of my panic, or was it the queen trying to get into my head? At that point, I didn't know.

For fucks sake, I didn't know anything and I couldn't stop thinking about the fact that I didn't know anything. I was the only woman who survived 6 years in the outskirts - the only wolf to ever reside in there for more than 2 weeks, and now, I. Knew. Nothing.

The worst part is, I didn't even know if I was living my own reality or living what the queen witch wanted me to live. The only thing keeping me comofrt was Fai who was looking directly at me from outside the bedroom window. The bird who had my mothers name.

Fuck.

Fuck.

The entire worlds fate depended on a bird with my mothers name on it.

I began chuckling, and my chuckling soon turned into knee slapping laughs I couldn't seem to control.

Luca tried talking to me through our bond, but I didn't have the strength to let him in. I didn't have the strength to let anyone in. If I were under the influence of the mother witches' magic, I could not afford to have her see him and what he looks like. Nobody else was going to die under my watch.

But he's Luca, a voice whispered into my thoughts, he's ours.

My head snapped upwards.

"Who was that?" I spoke into the air.

Did I care that Luca and Kate were probably listening to me laugh and have a conversation with myself? No. I just wanted all of this to be done; and if the queen was in my head trying to coddle me into seeing Luca, I was going to kill her myself.

It's me, it whispered.

"Who. The fuck. Is it?" I was getting angrier by the second.

My patience was thinning and so was my strength to control my emotions.

Your wolf.

"How do I know it you and not-" I swallowed down my fear, "and not the queen,"

A shiver overcame my body as I felt painless little needles ooze out of my skin. Immediately I looked down, lips arting at the sight of beautiful brown fur on my skin. To soon, the fur subsided back into my body, leaving me feeling half full once again.

The feeling was exhilirating and shockingly painless.

"Why are you talking to me now?" I asked, "Why now?""

You never needed me as much as you do now.

"I did need you," It came out as a whisper, "I needed you so much more than I need you now,"