Chapter 20

this song fits the chapter so beautifully. play it to feel some more for Leila.
-_-

My entire body ached.

Breathing was a task in itself; with every breath I took eliciting a sharp pain in my rib area. And it hurt. It hurt so bad. It confused me because I went through that almost everyday in the outskirts— fought monsters taller than trees and stronger than steel, but this time, it was worse. The consequences of that battle were so, so much worse.

In my chest was a bell that was constantly ringing. Rather than the ringing, all I felt was the emptiness inside of the bell. The leftover vibration of the hits against the metal. All I felt was space.

It was worse than anything I could have ever imagined. Heavier than what I recalled and all the more hollow.

I tightened my grip on the leash, trying my hardest to not fall off of the horse and winced. I completely forgot about my broken fingers. I completely forgot about everything on my ride to the kingdom.

The view of the castle gates rose into my line of vision, forcing a sigh of relief out of me. We arrived. After 14 hours of continuous riding, we were finally back at the castle ready to be treated amongst the medics and nurses. I couldn't wait to take a shower; to rest within the warm waters of the privileged and never step foot back into the outskirts. I also couldn't wait to get rid of the golems head that was wrapped around my foot. The weight of it, as time passed, stalled a certain ache throughout my entire thigh.

"Welcome back, Royal Guard," A soldier bowed, respect etched into his posture before he pushed the gates open and resumed his standing.

I was too drained to react. All I did was connect my eyes to his and hoped he knew I appreciated his action. He probably didn't think that, probably thought I was sat too high on my horse but I just hoped he understood because lately, people cared more of themselves than anybody else.

The moon goddess would have bellowed at the sight of that witch.

Goddess, who does that?

Who takes the form of a beings dead mother to manipulate them into trafficking? Who does that? I just— I didn't understand how anybody could do something so vile and unworthy. It made me fear humanity and despite the power of my Lycan. It made me question why the mother of the moon bestowed upon us such evil creatures and monsters? Weren't we supposed to be her children? Weren't we supposed to be her most prized creation?

I swallowed down an array of overwhelming emotions and stopped my thoughts from running further.

It was sinful to question the power of the moon.

And I would not sin further.

It was bad enough I had my mothers blood on my hands.

"How are you holding up?" Slaiman asked for the nth time that day.

All I did was look back at him and nod, when in reality, I felt something bad was growing in the bit of my stomach. I felt the insides of the monsters I slayed lurk between my tissues and swim into my bodily fluids.

As the horses walked further into the front yard of the castle, their heels padding across the cobblestone trial, the fog cleared up and there stood 6 figures right beside the entrance. I hoped they weren't there to welcome us; the sight of me was horrifying and worrying to say the least. It was only when my horse stopped moving that I was able to conclude who exactly they were.