[ 3 ] : "WAKING UP IN VEGAS"

My head was pounding, even with my eyes closed it was too bright staring at the back of my eyelids. Someone should've cut me off when I switched from champagne to tequila. A soft whimpered groan fell out of my mouth as I rolled over, pulling my cheek from a firm pillow. The smell of maple and pork fat made me unsure if I was hungry or ready to lose the last bit of dignity I had right there on the floor.

I cringed against the light, quickly reaching up to shield my eyes as I squinted them open. There was a familiar world around me, which gave me a small inkling of relief. We must have moved the party from the club back to Becca's condo when it got too late, but I didn't remember that happening.

"Good morning sunshine," Max greeted me as they exited the bathroom. They looked well rested, hair wet and skin a bit flushed—towel draped around their neck. I snorted at the fact that they squeezed themselves into one of Becca's shirts and a pair of sweats. They looked like they were about to hulk out of outfit.

I fell back against the couch like a starfish in the desert. "I'm never drinking again."

Max lifted the edge of the towel, chuckling as they rubbed dripping ends of their hair. "If I could have a dollar for everytime I've heard you say that."

"I mean it this time."

"And If I could have a dollar for everytime you've—"

"Oh, shut up! I don't want to see your gloating face when I feel like shit." I tossed a throw pillow at them. They slapped it away with ease, a teasing smile on their face.

A tiny groan pulled my attention to a moving pile of blankets on the maroon, velveteen loveseat. Adele's head of wild curls popped out, sending a subtle glare in Max's direction. "Why do you look completely fine?"

They gave a small, smug shrug of their shoulders. "I drink responsibly." 

Adele scrunched up her nose, plopping back down. "I'm not sure if I like you anymore."

"Would you like me again if I told you there was a glass of water and tylenol waiting for you guys on the side table?"

We both turned our faces to the side table between the couch and the loveseat, and as promised, were two glasses of water and a canister of tylenol. I moved first, snatching the glass of water, washing away the dry and acidic, burning aftermath of last night's bad decisions.

"I'll forgive you completely if you open that bottle for me," Adele said, reaching for the glass of water with a flimsy smile. "Ugh. I swear I can feel all of my bones."

"Don't talk about it—" I groaned, trying not to dwell on that mental image. 

Max crossed the room and opened the Tylenol, turning first to Adele, which I noted with a raised brow. Maybe my romantically dense friend was turning over a new leaf.

"Hold out your hand." Adele was obedient to the demand. They shook out a few then turned to me. I lifted my hand like Adele, unable to stop my lips from curling up in a teasing grin. They gave me a small frown in return before placing the canister into my hand for me to do it myself.

"Rude..." I mumbled before fishing out a couple and tossing them into my mouth, ready for the pounding in my skull to dissipate. 

"Oh good everyone is awake."

I turned at the sound of Becca's chipper voice, frowning at the fact she wasn't in the same state as myself or Adele. Her auburn hair was braided back away from her face, and she was rocking her work out gear. Honestly, she looked ready to run a 5k, and that hurt my pride for some reason.

Adele took one look at her and plopped back into the loveseat with a groan. Those were my feelings exactly. Perhaps I should give the title of best friend to her. We were more alike and aligned than my other best friends.