29)

Jo hated himself for leaving the way he did, he sat in the car for ages trying to convince himself that he had no choice.

"she cant know. Not yet"

he ran into the house, slamming the front door behind him before quickly running up the stairs, taking two at a time and pushing the bedroom door open, the door handle smacking harshly into the drywall.

he pulled the small suitcase out from under the bed and shoved some clothes in it, zipping it up and glancing around his room to see if anything had been missed anything in his hurried state.

Lucy sat at the door, her toy hanging from her mouth. "not right now Lucy" Jo's voice came out colder than intended, causing her to recoil as she dropped the toy at the door and ran towards the stairs with her ears back, tucked down close to the sides of her head. Jo face saddened before he mumbled into his hands as he dragged them down his face in exasperation

after pulling his suitcase off the bed and wheeled it out the room and down the stairs, he collected some of Lucys toys and treats in a bag before kneeling down next to her bed.

"hey Luce" he put his hand on her back, her body shaking as she nuzzled her face into her soft duck plush Andie had brought her. "im sorry girl, i didn't mean to yell" Jo sat down, pushing his hand through her fur "come here" he tapped his lap, she moved her face away from her duck plush and laid on him "i need to leave for a few days but i'll be home soon. You're gonna stay with uncle Joey until i get back, okay?" Lucy perked up at the mention of Joe, clearly excited to see him again as she hadn't in a while.

After gathering the bags up and placing them in the trunk of the car and clipping Lucy into her harness and lead, Jo had closed the car door and turned the radio on and began the short journey towards Joe's house.

Once he'd pulled up outside, and took the keys out the ignition he shifted in the seat, facing towards Lucy who was eager to leave the car. "hey Luce look at me girl. Im really gonna miss you" Jo pulled her into a small hug, pulling away and sniffling slightly. "you be a good girl for uncle Joey okay" she let out a small bark before turning towards the door, wanting to get out the car.

he opened the door, grabbing Lucy's leash and letting her out the car before getting her bag of toys and treats from the boot and walking up to Joe's front door. Jo only needed to knock twice before the door opened

"hey man, whats up" Joe moved to let him in but he was shut down.

"I can't come in, I need to get to the airport. Would you be able to look after Lucy for a few days. Only a few days and then ill be back" Joe's faced changed to one of confusion, he didnt need to say anything because before he could get any words out Jo had but in, "everything's okay, i cant explain now. I really need to get going. I'll be back in a few days, 3 days tops. I promise" Joe nodded as Jo moved to hand the leash over to his open hand.

"yeah man of course i can" Lucy moved past Joe and ran into his home, making herself comfortable on the sofa, "text me when you land or something, yeah?" he nodded at him before saying his goodbyes and turning towards the car, jogging slightly up the cobble path

He took one more glance at the house, seeing Lucy happily through the windows up on the back of the sofa. Joe waved him off as he drove off down the road, making his way to the airport. Jo's flight was in 3 hours, he hoped he'd be able to make it, it was the beginning of October so hopefully it shouldn't be too packed and he could get through quickly.

Jo's flight came faster than he had anticipated, him being used to a delayed flight. He boarded and slumped down in his seat before a small group of energetic teens came over.