Chapter 4 - "A Helping Hand"

The group of four sat in the living room with no lights other than a softly glowing array of candles on the coffee table in front of the sofa. Jeffrey shuffled the papers in a single hand, his red eyes squinting slightly as he paraphrased the information he had jotted down.

     "This ruler of the Arachnems has gained too much power. It is currently unknown how she had gained it so quickly, but what is known is that mortal souls alone cannot defeat her." Looking up at the three visitors, the medic's stare became deadpan and serious.

     "We need the gods."

     While Dreambert and Bedsmith seemed confused, Birdseye nearly flew out of her seat. "You don't mean…?"
     Jeffrey nodded, sitting upright. "I mean the Four Moons and the Sun. Their powers combined are the only things now able to defeat Astania."

     "Pardon me for asking," Dreambert questioned, "but where are they now?" The medic gave a glance at his stack of papers before taking out a specific sheet and handing it over to the royal with an understanding nod.
     "They are all currently dormant, scattered away in their hibernating forms. They only awaken during holidays and ceremonies, and so they're unaware of the current situation due to it."

     Dreambert looked down at the paper he was handed, only to see it read the locations of each of the four moons.

     "The Full Moon is hidden among the bushes of the Tail-Tip Fields," Dreambert began to read out loud. "The Blue Moon resides within the deepest floor of the Royal Beach's lakes… the Blood Moon lies with the oasis sand of the Pastry Dunes... And the New Moon hides on the top of New Moon Peak.

     "With all four Moons, their power is enough to summon the Sun at the center of the Summoning Flat."

      Jeffrey nodded, his eyes closing as if in deep thought. "The Tail-Tip Fields are commonly watched over by the villagefolk, so the Full Moon will be the easiest one to find.
     "The Royal Beach is right next to the Pastry Dunes, so collecting the Blood and Blue moons will be quick.
     "The hardest one to get is the New Moon, not because of the mountain itself, but the path one has to go to obtain it."

     "So… fields, beach, desert, then mountain? I think that would be good," Bedsmith suggested, messing with his scarf. The prince nodded to signal his agreement to the plan.
     Birdseye smiled, her dull yet healthy fangs sparkling from the candles' light. "Yes, that'd be a nice layout! But first, you two probably need some food, right?"

     Only now did the two realise how empty their stomachs felt.

     "Ah, we do," Dreambert muttered, but the little bat could understand. "There's a wandering shopkeeper in the Bumbleberry Forest named Cassie! She's a very big caterpillar, all blue! She also has really good food that you can eat!"
     Jeffrey nodded, giving a little smile before adding on, "She can also give tips on how to navigate the fields, as she was born there."

     Dreambert and Bedsmith, in a mutual agreement, took their map and the notes, then folded them neatly together.
     "Well, it's settled. We'll find the Moons, summon the Sun, and– wait," Bedsmith stopped. "...How do we wake up the Moons?"

     Jeffrey chuckled, then pointed a tiny claw towards the staffs the Pi'illos obtained. "Just like how you would break a rock, you'd aim your staff at their dormant form and shoot magic at them. It'll wake them up, and you can tell them everything. They'll be quick to understand."

     The duo exchanged glances once again, then nodded. "Alright, now it's settled," Bedsmith spoke again. "We'll find the Moons, summon the Sun, and defeat Astania!"

     "That's the spirit," the gecko beamed, "now you two must be off then. It's better to start now than tomorrow." Birdseye got up from her seat and fluttered around. "I'll be here with Jeffrey, you can always come down here if you're injured and need some assistance!"

     The two Pi'illos smiled and gave farewells to the others before exiting the medic's burrow and getting nearly blinded by the sunlight.

     Floating across the cove, the duo began to plan out their journey more thoroughly.
     "We should prepare in the forest; get the food we need and also some proper rest," Dreambert brainstormed. "We can break any gems we find along the way."
     Bedsmith nodded, then looked at the prince to ask, "and then we can go into the fields at dawn?"

     "Yes," Dreambert answered. They crossed the bridge and looked up at the sun; it was almost noon.

      Entering the Bumbleberry Forest again, the two found even more cobwebs than before. With their new tools, however, cleaning up the sparkly patterns of string was as easy as falling asleep.
     Dusting off bushes and trees with their staffs, the two began to converse. They talked about the cove, its welcoming inhabitants, Birdseye, and what they could say to Eldream.

     Wait, speaking of Eldream, where's the tablet? Where's their luggage, actually?

     "Did we leave our luggage behind when we met Sybyl?" Dreambert turned to face Bedsmith, who was also struck with the realization. Shaking his head to snap himself out of the shock, the latter replied, "Well, we better find them before someone steals them!"

     Now more rushed, the two started to retrace their steps.
     The large flower where they encountered who must've been Astania… The lake they rested at… Going… northwest?... Northwest.

     And there, at a large tree, near its base, stood two untouched luggage bags. Relieved, the duo floated over. As they grabbed their respective bags, they could see something staring at them from the other side of the tree… no, someone.

     A large blue caterpillar.
     Cassie!

     Unfortunately, she seemed to be shy, as her eyes widened and her feet scrambled, running off.
     Dreambert sighed, looking at Bedsmith. "Will we have to find her again?" The mildly dejected craftsman gave a shrug at the question and spun his luggage around.

     Footsteps alerted the Pi'illos as they turned to face an Arachnem who just finished scuttling out of the bushes nearby. This one had more gems scattered around its back like a porcupine, to add to the horn-shaped one on its head.

     Dreambert readied his staff to attack, but Bedsmith was quicker to mirror his actions, attacking first.

     Aim the staff! flick the orb upwards! swing it down!

     Crack !