Chapter 8 - "Killer Conversations"

Their breakfast for the day was a bundle of sweet strawberries and a handful of pastries, all resting on a clean blanket with some fresh water.

While Bedsmith ate happily to himself, finishing his own breakfast rather fast, the prince had barely even taken a bite out of his strawberry, which he fumbled with in his paws .

"Bedsmith?"
The Pi'illo turned to face his prince, noting his softened expression. "Yes, Dreambert? Is something wrong?"

He sighed, bouncing the strawberry lightly into the air. Due to the size of the island's flora, the fruit was about the size of an apple. "You remember the time before this, when we were stuck in those nightmare chunks, in that purgatory, correct? Do you think that's what... death is like?"
The bedsmith nodded in response after a bit of thought, taking a nonchalant bite into his own pastry. "I do," he spoke after finishing his mouthful. "Why do you ask?"

"Well," the prince poked at the strawberry's seeds to collect himself, his eyes narrowing in thought. "From our collective experience, and with... that previous event," he chuckled a bit from instinct, glancing at his bandaged side, "I... would you wish that upon anyone, Bedsmith?"
He looked back up at him, his grip on the strawberry tightening from nervousness. "Would you wish death upon someone?"

Bedsmith shook his head as he took a sip of water. "Well, I would say that I would, but... I wouldn't truly do such a thing."

Dreambert simply nodded, finally taking his first bite of food. "Me neither.. I wouldn't wish any sort of harm on anyone, let alone... that." He bounced his leg a few times while glancing around. "Any thought wicked enough to conjure the image of a perished soul..." His voice trailed off as he let out a tired sigh, taking another bite from his strawberry. "That's just... been on my mind for a while."
Bedsmith nodded, assuming what Dreambert had meant, before handing him a pastry. "We'll need to focus on our mission for now then, my prince... and our breakfast."

Dreambert held his hand out to politely decline, but gave a warm smile nontheless. "I suppose we do, don't we..."
They finished their breakfast in a peaceful silence, listening to the whispers of the cattails and the blurry murmurs of the surrounding folk.
"Are you ready, my prince?" Bedsmith got up with a hop, setting the remaining pastries and berries into their food bag. Dreambert smiled up at him.
"I'm ready."

"Do you think we'll be able to find the Full Moon by tomorrow?" Bedsmith asked with excitement as they began to search through the fields.
"Well," Dreambert replied, much calmer than his partner, "if we're lucky, or resilient enough, we can possibly find ourselves at Royal Beach by this evening..!"

.
.

_ • – || ♪ || – • _

.
.

"You know, I'm getting tired of your attitude."
The crackling of the growing crystals and the spirit's voice in her head were the only things keeping Astania company. She sluggishly looked down at the pond's reflection, wincing from the sunlight reflecting into her many eyes.

"Vhat kind of attitude do you speak of?" The spirit retorted, its faceless words forcing its way through her mouth. "I simply say that ve must keep going! No time to waste, scrEEP!"
She winced at the squeal, clearing her throat. "I'm tired. I just woke up. At least stay quiet. And no screaming."
"I vill attempt that." A beat of silence. "Find them today, at least, scree!"

Astania rolled her eyes, at least thankful that the squeak wasn't hurting her throat. "By them, you mean those two 'pi'illo folk', whatever you call them?"
"Yes, squeek!"
"Yeah, I can do that."

She stood up after watching the crystals finish growing, and then she walked away.