XXI

Lia stared at Ryujin, trying to figure out what she could have possibly done to make her so mad.

Sure the two girls are always bickering; that would sometimes lead to arguments.
It was like they were two magnets, constantly drawn to each other and then repelling. But each time, they would just laugh it off.

This time it's different, rather than an open battle, it felt like a cold war. Like something is brewing, waiting to explode.

It was a normal day when Lia first noticed that Ryujin had been acting strange around her. They used spend their free time together, but lately it seemed like Ryujin was avoiding her. Lia would say hello and Ryujin would barely respond, or she would try to start a conversation and Ryujin would quickly find an excuse to leave.

Lia saw Ryujin leaving by herself, and she decided to take the opportunity to talk to her.

"Ryujin, wait up!" Lia called out, running to catch up.

Ryujin stopped and turned around, but she didn't say anything. She just stood there and stared at Lia.

"Can we talk?" Lia asked, feeling a little bit uneasy under Ryujin's gaze. "I really want to know what's going on."

"It's nothing," Ryujin said, turning to walk away.

"It's obviously not nothing," Lia said, following after her. "You've been avoiding me. What did I do?"

Ryujin sighed. "I'm not avoiding you. You're just imagining things. Give it a rest, okay."

Lia felt a sudden pang in her heart as she watched Ryujin walk away.

Clearly it wasn't just her imagination.

The next few days, Ryujin completely ignored her whenever they were in a room together, and when they were out with their co-members, Ryujin would always find a way to talk to everyone but Lia. It was like she was invisible.

Lia didn't know what she had done to deserve this treatment.

Lia and Ryujin had always been close, and she always thought there was something more between them.
Or maybe she was just imagining things.

Lia was starting to get really frustrated, especially because she had no idea what she could have done to make Ryujin behave this way.

She decided to try and talk to Yeji, since she was the only other person who Ryujin had been talking to lately. Maybe Yeji would know what was going on.

"Hey, Yeji," Lia said, approaching their leader cautiously. "Do you know what's going on with Ryujin? She's been acting really weird lately."

Yeji frowned, and Lia could tell she was trying to come up with a lie. "I don't really know," Yeji said, avoiding eye contact. "I think she's just going through a lot right now."

Lia didn't believe her, but she didn't want to push the issue. If Yeji didn't want to tell her, then she wasn't going to force her.

Lia's jaw almost dropped as she watched Ryujin entering the room with a new hair cut. It felt like ages since they had last spoken, and seeing the younger girl with a  rocking short hair again, she was taken back.

Back to the days, when things had started feeling a little different between them. When Lia couldn't help but notice the way Ryujin's eyes would linger on her a little longer than necessary, and the way Ryujin would blush when their hands would accidentally brush against each other. When it was becoming increasingly difficult for Lia to ignore her feelings for Ryujin.