XXVII

"I guess this is it.."

Lia woke up to the sound of pouring rain, it was still midnight.

But she couldn't go back to sleep, not when she just had that dream.

A dream, a memory of that night she had to leave the one person she loved the most, Ryujin.

Lia loved Ryujin. Although she can't remember when or how it happened, but very naturally, Lia fell in love with Ryujin.

But Lia had dreams, ambitions bigger than their small town. She was always looking at something beyond. That she ignored what her heart was yearning.

Lia always thought a small town was not a place for her, she never really thought she belonged. A community where almost everybody knows everybody, but deep down not really. Staying would be like being locked in a cage.

Lia was the shy daughter of a retired military officer. Ryujin was the child of a wealthy family, that owned most of the business in town.

They went to the same high school and were constantly drawn to each other, but they never said anything. They had never admitted their feelings for each other, but it was clear to everyone that they had a connection.

Lia never told Ryujin how much she loved her because she thought if Ryujin found out, she would want more from her than she could give.

Ryujin was head over heels for Lia and she wanted to tell her so badly but the words just wouldn't come out.

Instead, Ryujin showed Lia how much she loved her through her actions. She went out of her way to do things for Lia and make her happy. She was always there for her when she needed a shoulder to cry on.

Finally, after graduation Ryujin mustered up the courage to confess, but missed the opportunity.

"Ryujin! Can you believe it?  I actually got accepted at the University!" Lia's eyes sparkled, and her lips had the biggest smile.

It was the most beautiful smile Ryujin has ever seen, but at the same time the most heart breaking one.

"I'm really happy for you, you deserve it." Ryujin put on a happy mask, and hid the small velvet box she was holding.

They've always been together and now they're going to be separated.  But Ryujin knew this is Lia's dream, and she didn't want to be in the way. She didn't want to burden Lia with something she can't do anything about.

So Lia left. She finished college and had a thriving career. Quenching the thirst of her ambitions, and finally getting to the top.

But over the past few years, Lia wanted to take hold of something she couldn’t reach. What that is, wasn't clear to her.

Being at the top of the hill can be lonely sometimes. Especially on nights like this.

In an empty bed, where she's all alone, dreaming about Ryujin, feeling as if it all just happened yesterday.

Thinking all the "what if", if she had the courage to tell Ryujin how much she loved her. If she had listened to what her heart was really longing.

Realizing that her heart was withering, and in it there was nothing but pain.

sooooo

thoughts?