Getting On The Wrong Side Of Uncle Colin

Charlottes POV (5 Years Old)

"Auntie look!" I exclaimed as I hopped along the ageing stone wall in the grounds of Aubrey Hall, 

"I do think it best if you stop that now Lottie" Daphne replied with a concerned frown,

"Daph's right" Colin agreed as he peered up from his book "Your father would have a fit if he saw you up there" he commented "not to mention he would have our necks if anything happened to you" he added making me sigh. Who where they trying to put an early end to my fun!

"I'm fine" I assured as I continued to balance along the wall,

"Lottie" Colin said firmly and I stopped to look at him "get down" he instructed but I shook my head before quickly moving to the other end of the wall, further away from the disapproving adults. "Charlotte" I heard Uncle Colin repeat himself. I was so busy concentrating on not falling off the wall that I didn't hear my Uncle put his book down and walk over to me until I felt him firmly lift me off the wall and place me on the ground where he swatted the back of my legs sharply "next time don't make me repeat myself" he said before taking hold of my wrist and pulling me up to where he and Daph had been sitting.

"Why don't you sit with me and we can practice some more of your reading?" Aunt Daphne suggested but I shook my head with a frown,

"I want to play over there" I scowled as I pointed over to where Uncle Colin had just retrieved me from.

"That's not an option" Colin spoke making my scowl deepen,

"But I want to do it!" I said as I stomped my foot "I don't have to listen to you!" I defied.

"Char-" Uncle Colins scolding was cut off,

"Good afternoon siblings" Benedict greeted as he strode out on to the porch "how's my favourite niece today?" He asked making me frown "what's with the face?" Benedict asked me with a frown.

"Uncle Colin's being awful" I stated making him chuckle.

"Of that I have no doubt" he agreed,

"So you would let our five year old niece climb across that rickety old stone wall would you?" He asked my other uncle, gesturing over to the wall I longed to continue my game on.

"Heavens no" Uncle Benedict agreed with a shake of his head.

"I'm bored" I exclaimed loudly as I threw myself on to the nearby bench,

"Would you care to join me on my walk?" He asked and I sat up to give him my full attention,

"Can we stop by the swing?" I asked referring to the swing that my Grandfather had hung from a rather chunky tree branch before I was born.

"I'm sure we can come to some sort of an agreement" He smiled and I jumped to my feet and grabbed his hand pulling him along the path,

"Have fun" I heard my Aunt say before we disappeared off in to the gardens.

"Uncle Ben look" I exclaimed excitedly "I can do it by myself" I said as I used my legs to make myself go higher on the swing,

"Well done darling" he smiled as he leant leisurely against the trunk of the tree with his arms crossed over his chest,

"How do I stop it?" I asked with a nervous smile,

"Just stop moving your legs and you'll slow down" he said and I did as I was told, eventually slowing down to a stop "I think we should start heading back Lottie, we don't have long until dinner" he reminded.

We slowly made our way back up to the house and up the back steps,

"Papa" I exclaimed as I saw my father walking down the staircase in the foyer. I dropped my uncles hand and ran over to him, allowing him to pick me up and hold me on his hip.

"I was wondering where you two where" he said,

"We went on a walk and Uncle Ben took me to the swing in the garden" I told him excitedly as he carried me over to the seats by the window,

"Wow, it sounds like you've had a busy afternoon" he commented making me nod the affirmative "did something happen that you need to tell me about?" He asked making me frown quizzically "anything that would leave your Uncle Colin in a particular sour mood?" He prompted. Oh. A look of realisation flashed across my face. "What happened" he prompted.

"He smacked me" I informed him.

"I see" papa replied "and why, may I ask, did Uncle Colin smack you?" He asked me making me shrug.

"I don't know" I shrugged making my father raise an unbelieving eyebrow,

"Charlotte" he warned.

"He was being mean and he wouldn't let me play on the wall" I said sheepishly,

"And which wall where you playing on?" He asked making me sigh in defeat.

"The one by the apple tree" I admitted,

"The same wall we've had a conversation about before?" He asked and I nodded meekly "use your words Charlotte" he prompted.

"Yes sir" I told him,

"So not only did you disobey your uncle by ignoring his instruction; but you also disobeyed me" papa lectured "quite frankly Charlotte you got off lightly. Had you of spoken to me like that you would not have been going for a walk with Benedict" he continued "now, are you going to give me your word that you will not go near that wall again?" He asked and I nodded silently causing papa to raise an expecting eyebrow at me.

"Yes sir" I told him.

"Then we shall say no more on the subject. But if I ever find out you have been anywhere near that wall again there will be consequences" he warned "you are however, going to apologise to Colin" he insisted "the way you spoke to him was unacceptable and not how you have been taught" he lectured "any of your uncles have my permission to punish you if they see fit. I've already spoken to Colin and I intend to do the same with Benedict. If you behave in that manner or talk to anyone in that way again and I'm not present you will be immediately reprimanded in whatever way they see fit" he finished "do you understand me?" He asked.

"Yes sir" I said for the third time,

"Good" he nodded "now I believe your uncle is in the drawing room" he added "can I trust you to go find him to apologise?" He asked and i nodded once again,

"Yes papa" I replied before I slipped off the chair and solemnly made my way towards the drawing room in search of my uncle. "Uncle Colin?" I asked sheepishly once I had located him in the drawing room "may I speak with you?" I asked. He nodded before putting his book down and gesturing me over to him "I'm really sorry for the way I behaved and for the way I spoke to you" I said making him smile softly in my direction.

"Thank you Lottie" he replied as he gestured for me to sit beside him "I hope you understand that I only had your safety in mind. That wall has been threatening to fall down for years and if it did so with you on top of it you could be seriously injured" he explained. Huh, I hadn't thought of it that way.

"I'm really sorry" I sniffled and my uncle pulled me in to his side,

"I forgive you darling" he assured "are you going to listen to me in the future?" He asked and I immediately nodded. Papa said both he and uncle Benedict had permission to spank me and if that one smack was anything to go by, it would not be a pleasant experience!