Father's Away

Charlottes POV (5 Years Old)

"Please don't go papa" I cried as I followed my father down the stairs "I don't want you to go" I insisted. I watched my father as he sighed heavily before turning and crouching down to my level.

"It's only for two days my darling" he assured as he placed his hands on my shoulders "I'll be back before you know it" he said and he wiped some of my tears away from my cheeks "you've got your grandmother and all of your aunts and uncles to keep you company in the meantime" he reminded.

"I want you as well" I whimpered as my bottom lip wobbled; more tears threatening to spill from my eyes.

"Come now" papa said as he poked my nose playfully "everything will be okay" he promised "I'll even bring you back a present" he said.

"Really?" I asked making him smile.

"Have I ever let you down before?" He asked and I shook my head "I'll see you on Monday; in the meantime your uncle Benedict is in charge and I expect you to be on your best behaviour" he said as he leant forward and kissed my forehead.

I spent the rest of the day lounging about in the nursery feeling extra sorry for myself. Gregory had tried to coax me out with the promise of hide and seek, but even that wasn't enough to release me of my foul mood.

It soon rolled round to dinner time and my Aunt Hyacinth had been sent to fetch me.

"Lottie it's dinner time" she announced as I continued to stare aimlessly out of the window "Lottie" she repeated, confusion lacing through her voice.

"I want to stay in my room" I snapped with a frown.

"Well, I still think it best that you at least come down to the table an-" I cut her off before she could continue.

"I said I don't want to!" I repeated. I watched as my young aunt contemplated what to do before turning and leaving the nursery.

I thought I was in the clear but the sight of my Uncle Benedict standing in my doorway two minutes later proved me wrong.

"Come along now Charlotte. It's dinner time" he said softly yet firmly.

"I wish to stay here" I complained for what felt like the hundredth time.

"I know you miss your father Lottie" he sympathised "but he'll be back in two days time" he reminded "now come downstairs and have something to eat" he insisted.

"Bu-" I was cut off before I could continue.

"Downstairs Charlotte" he said sternly. I don't like this version of uncle Benedict, usually he's the one on my side when my father is nagging me.

"Fine" I said as I let out a defiant huff and stormed past my, unusually serious looking, uncle.

"Ah, if it isn't my favourite and most beautiful niece" uncle Collin said as I walked in to the dining room.

"I'm your only niece" I replied with a frown.

"Which makes you all the more special" he added with a cheeky grin.

"Where's grandmama and Auntie El?" I asked with a quizzical frown.

"Dining with lady Danbury" Colin replied. I sat down next to him at the table along with Benedict, Gregory, and Hyacinth.

The servers soon brought out our meal and set it down in front of us. Everyone was quick to tuck in but my hands remained firmly in my lap.

"Are you not hungry Lottie?" Uncle Gregory asked when he noticed my untouched plate.