Chapter 1

The moment I stepped into the ring, my body assumed control, relegating my mind to the shadows. A surge of readiness to unleash chaos coursed through me. We danced around each other until he advanced, launching his initial punch.

"Damn," I muttered, wiping the blood from my lip as I staggered up from the floor. That guy could really pack a punch. A surge of anger filled me, the blood dripped from my lip staining by grey sports bra crimson red, he smirked, revealing his yellowed teeth. "Can't handle a hit, huh?" he sneered continuing to taunt me, a low growl escaped my throat, and without thinking, I charged at him, raining down punches until I was thrown off him in a swift kick.

A scream escaped my lips as I gripped my ribs, another kick landed on my back, sending me sprawling against the unforgiving steel cage that enclosed us. My ribs screamed in agony as I struggled to my feet, clutching my side. He laughed, revelling in my pain, and charged at me. With all the strength I could muster, I moved away, forcing him to collide with the steel cage, his fist meeting cold, unyielding metal.

While he was distracted trying to ease the pain in his arm I took it as my chance and smashed his face against the cage, he fell to the floor knocked out, blood dripping from his forehead.

"And the winner is the invincible Storm" the announcer said while pulling my hand above my head in victory.

I walked to the door “Winner again Storm?” Josh, the owner of the fight club called out from behind his desk “You know it” I spoke not being able to hide my glee,  he smiled opening his side drawer and handed me the $100 for the fight.

It wasn’t much considering all the bodily harm I have to endure but it is definitely better than being groped by a bunch of old man at my waitressing job. I grabbed the money and with a nod to the head and a final farewell I headed into the dead of the night.

I rearranged the hood on my head to cover most of my face and started to make my way to my apartment. The walk between the fight club and my apartment isn’t long but the danger is prominent in this area of town so I always make sure to walk towards the middle of the street rather than near the dark alleys.

My apartment building soon came into view, I gripped my side feeling a sharp pang of pain shooting through my body, I let out a groan leaning against a nearby lamp post, the metal creaked under my weight and without another warning the light bulb overhead shattered showering me with shards of glass.

A sigh left my lips, I really can’t catch a break can I.

Voices came from the alley to my right capturing my attention, I straightened shaking off the glass shards, I continue to walk trying not to be seen or heard as the voices continued to grow louder, I can’t make out the voices or what they were saying but I need to get out of the street before it ends badly for me too.

The voices turned into screams, a gasp left my lips as a gun shot sounded, I fell to the floor gripping my side trying hard not to make a sound, I continued to hide beside the dumpster finally being able to make out what they are saying.

“You could have waited for an answer before killing him you know” a voice said followed by a deep chuckle “The bitch was getting on my nerves anyway” another voice answered I kept quiet praying that they don’t see me.

But luck as usual wasn’t on my side.

A high pitched squeak sounded right by my ear, I took a large intake of breath trying desperately to stay calm. Another squeak sounded this time closer to my ear, I snapped my head to the side spotting a large black rat just inches away from me.

I couldn’t help the scream that left my throat scaring the creature into hiding, I jumped up from behind the dumpster forgetting about the searing pain in my ribs and the looming danger I was in.

“Fucking bitch was listening”

I turned to look behind me towards the two men, although it was dark I could still see the body slumped against the cement wall.

“Oh sorry, I think I stumbled on the wrong alley, my bad” I said giving them a slight smile, their confused faces where all I needed before taking off running. It only took them a slight second before their heavy footsteps could be heard from behind me, I ran past my apartment block and made a sharp left turn, my ribs screamed for me to stop.

My vision was starting to get blurry from the pain, the nausea and the lack of eating, I slumped against the wall as a wave of dizziness hit me. “She went down that alley” I hurriedly looked around noting a fire escape just above my head.

I climbed on the stairs railing and with a deep breath I jumped gripping on the ledge of the fire escape with a few deep breaths and searing pain I was able to pull myself in the shadows of my hiding place. “Where the fuck did she go?” an angry voice sounded just below where I stood.

“There is no way she could have gotten that far, she was limping” I almost scoffed at that there was no way I had made it that obvious.

“We need to find her, the boss will have our heads if he finds out we let a witness walk” one of them continued as they made their way past the fire escape and down the street.

I stayed on the fire escape for a couple of more minutes before I made my way down slowly and headed back to my apartment. The walk there was tense and painful. I kept expecting them to jump up from the darkness and kill me where I stood.

I breathed out a sigh of relief when the door closed behind me with a thud, I grabbed a water bottle from the fridge and made my way to the bathroom to tend to the damage that had been done to my body.

My entire upper stomach is littered with black and blue bruises, there was no way that this was going to go away overnight, not the bruises and definitely not the pain. I glanced towards the small mirror hanging on the wall, the seventeen year old girl that stared back at me was nothing like the girl I envisioned, I wiped the few tears that escaped and headed to the small mattress I have laying in the corner of the room.

As my head hit the limp pillow, I think about my first day back to school tomorrow as a senior and I can’t help the spark of hope that lit up my chest.

-------------
Author's note

Aaaaaa.....I'm literally screaming so happy I'm finally sharing this book with you guys it's been years in the making and ai can't believe it's finally here.

Hope you guys like Riley's story as much as I do.

Like.

Comment.

Share.