Prolouge

"[NAME]!" Aether cried out. The mask covering [Name]'s face dissipated slowly as they clenched their arm. [Name] didn't even really hear the blond's call until they felt the pressure of the situation they were in.

Continuing to use their powers on the compass in front of them, their eyes gazed around the vortex surrounding them and the chasm group. Aether held Paimon as he slashed lost souls while Yelan and Yanfei counter-attacked. Itto was passed out in Kuki's arms while she looked around in concern.

Feeling the power nearly drained from their body, [Name] looked around at the people they had been stuck with for who knows how long. Realizing the situation the group was in, and how [Name] wouldn't be able to keep up for much longer, they slowly released the amount of power used on the compass. An Idea had struck them, and while it may not be the smartest, it was all they could do to ensure the others safety.

Sensing the lack of power, Aether's eyes widened as he turned to look at the Yaksha. His golden gaze met [Name]'s drained [Eye Color] eyes. Before he could reach out to help them, he felt the rush of Anemo power surrounding him.

Everyone stopped what they were doing as they felt wind coursing around them. Yelan and Aether understood the situation instantly as they quickly rushed forward.

"Don't-!"

"[Name]! Please-!"

Though before he could finish his sentence, Aether felt the rocky ground of the Chasm beneath him. Bright light made him squint as he realized he was above the surface and not in the cursed catacombs of the underground.

Standing up, albeit a bit hastily causing a headache to strike, he looked around in search of a certain [Hair Color] haired adeptus. He saw Itto sitting on the ground with Kuki and Ushi along with Yelan and Yanfei helping each other up. Paimon was still on the ground rubbing her head after falling. Though no matter how much he surveyed the area, he couldn't see the vigilant yaksha anywhere.

Eyesight blurring, the blond fell to his knees as he realized what had just happened. [Name] sacrificed themself. They gave up everything for them. They gave themself up for them. [Name] was gone. No, that's silly. The Mighty Adeptus [Name] couldn't be gone. They were probably just at Wangshu Inn resting! That had to be it.

Aether didn't even hear the others calling out to him as he stared blankly ahead. Somehow thinking that they'd show up in that exact patch of dirt any second. He meekly called out their name softly. The brief spark of hope that they were still there held him in place as he waited for them to show up like they always did.

[Name] always popped up in the coolest of ways. Always showing up in mysterious ways as their Anemo powers flowed around themself causing anything around them to shrink away. Aether never shrank away though, not even when they sent him piercing glares. He couldn't help but be compelled to just stare at their eyes. They were just so... alluring.

Though there was no cool entry or glares of pretty [Eye Color] eyes staring at him. Aether shook as laughter overtook him. It wasn't maniacal, nor loud, just laughter of disbelief. His laugh slowly broke apart as sobs racked through him. Hot tears rolled down his face as he nearly fell over onto the ground. The only thing keeping him up was that of Yelans arms holding him in a side hug.

Everyone else watched as the traveler broke down. Tears and grief swept over the group as they realized why. Aether called out their name repeatedly through broken cries, wishing that they'd come to him and tell him that they were there and that everything was fine.

His wish wasn't granted.

░ ░ ░

Falling to impending doom shouldn't have felt as serene as it did. Maybe it was the fact that the karmic debt that kept [Name] awake in a never ending battle faded away for the first time in centuries. Or maybe it was the thought of being able to see their sisters and brothers on the other side.

Closing their eyes, [Name] continued to fall through the never ending vortex. Though, through their eyelids, a glimmer of golden light shone. Squinting at the brightness, [Name] opened their eyes slowly as they watched golden streams of magic flow towards them that broke through the darkness.

A sense of calm surrounded [Name] as the wind from the passing beams flowed through their hair and face. It reminded them of the early mornings at the mountain peaks of Mt. Hulao while on lookout. Sometimes Aether and Paimon joined them on their outings to the mountain. Why? They didn't know. Something about loneliness?

While trying to think, [Name]'s body began to be engulfed fully by the light causing their eyes to shut at how bright it was. All of a sudden, they felt themselves sitting in a plush chair.

"What the-?" slowly opening their eyes trying to get an understanding of what was going on, [Name] was met with a completely different environment from anywhere they had ever been. Was this another trick of the Chasm? Were they not truly free of the torture? [Name] felt their karmic debt resurface but it felt fainter than it usually felt.

'Strange.' was all [Name] could think before they realized they weren't alone. Feeling the overbearing presence of cardinal sin overwhelming their senses, they tensed and were about to summon their trusty spear before they carefully looked in front of them.

It looked like a courtroom, not that [Name] really ever visited one. They had only ever briefly seen one because of Yanfei. They were sitting in a wooden chair that had red cushions sewn in, a large oak table spread horizontally sat in front of them, barren of anything but polished wood.

Finally looking up a little further, [Name] saw the beings that produced the cursed atmosphere.

Sitting in a row of seats with one elevated higher a bit farther back. Almost all the seats were filled with some missing. [Name]'s attention was mainly focused on the tanned man sitting at the tallest seat. Red hair parted sideways while golden eyes peered down, holding a glint of glee in them as both theirs and his made eye contact.

"Welcome to the Devildom, [Name]!"

Published: October 6, 2022
Edited: X