CHAPTER III, dead of night

CHAPTER III. DEAD OF NIGHT

"They were talking about you today," Gojo slumps into the empty couch in the morgue, Illayona's eyes following his relaxed form. Shoko sighs, watching as Illayona disinfects her final scalpel before begrudgingly joining the conversation. 

"Who's they?" Shoko asks, bored eyes narrowing in on Gojo. There's a beat of competition between them, a flare in their stares. Satoru's always been the idiot tugging on her pigtails, ever since they were tiny, and she cannot help the distrust that overwhelms her as she watches his every movement. And yet, there is something delightfully familiar about the annoyance. Like a scuff on the wall she cannot bring herself to paint over. Too much affection. Too much history. Too many memories.  

Too many memories

Gojo sighs, folding his arms over his chest. "My students. Yuta." 

Shoko's stare whips around to her student, tired eyes burning holes into the girl. Illayona feels a shiver crawl up her spine. "What did you say to that boy?" 

"What?" Illayona shrieks, nearly jumping. "Nothing. Why do think I said something? Maybe it was Gojo! He was asking me about him earlier, too!" 

The accusation has Shoko shifting her stare to a now equally apprehensive Gojo. He sinks into the plush of the couch, willing her eyes somehow relent. 

"Satoru," She huffs, an edge of frustration. "Are you meddling, again?"

"Again?" Illayona mutters to herself in confusion, twisting her hands together. 

"No! I swear, they were already talking about her by the time I interrupted. This is clearly the work of Illy," An accusatory finger is thrown towards Illayona.

"Do not call me that. It was so you," 

"Was not," 

"Was too!" 

"Was not," 

"Was-," 

"You two are five year olds, I swear," Shoko sighs. "I don't know how Nanami puts up with either of you." 

"He doesn't," Illayona shrugs, before grabbing the newly cleaned scalpel between her fingers. 

Gojo stills, eyebrow quirking upwards. "Maybe he doesn't for you. Nanamin loves me," 

He barely has time to slip down before a loud thwack resounds through the room, the scalpel splitting the air as it buries itself into the wall just above his head. It lands against the drywall with a thump, and Gojo's eyes widen, frenzied with betrayal.