CHAPTER IV, panic

CHAPTER IV. PANIC 

The morning is a quiet affair

Their breakfasts are always serene and private, a small moment where the sun hasn't quite broken the horizon, and they can simply exist. Morning might be the only time Gojo Satoru has been able to keep quiet for longer than ten seconds, due to tiredness or food shovelled into his mouth, and consequently, it might be Illayona's favourite time of day. 

Usually, it is not just the two of them, but their third, dark-haired, perpetually grumpy member has abandoned them (as Gojo dramatically put it when falling to the floor to begin eating that morning) in favour of early-morning training. It was unusual, but Illayona chalked it up to teenage angst, which was met with a scowl and a flick to the forehead. Whenever they have the chance to spend a morning together, it's almost always seized.

And always uninterrupted. Until today

"You haven't slept," The voice prompts Illayona to pause mid-bite, hand steadying as the onigiri begins to slip from her grasp. "And you still eat like a pig." 

Her head whips around, almost fast enough that Gojo's surprised when he doesn't hear a tell-tale crack. Gojo wants to say something petulant and annoying when Illayona immediately abandons whatever mild conversation they were having and jumps to her feet, back turning to him swiftly. But the moment her eyes crinkle upwards and a grin stretches across her lips, it shrivels in his mouth. And for some reason, he finds himself smiling as well. 

That doesn't mean, however, that when Illayona jumps into Nanamin's unsuspecting embrace, Gojo isn't a little disappointed that they both don't tumble to the ground. 

"Nanami!" They can hear the smile in her words as she tightens her arms around him. She still hugs like she's five, tiny and ecstatic, light as a feather, enthusiastic as a lion cub. She has for as long as Nanami has known her. 

"Hello Illayona," Nanami mumbles, before carefully returning her to the ground. Gojo smiles at the sight, and Nanami cannot help but tense at the implications. "Please don't tell me Gojo has won our bet." 

"Wha- Gojo stop smiling like that, you're freaking Nanami out," Illayona scolds lightly, and it takes everything not to throw her half-eaten onigiri at her. 

"What's wrong with my smile?" Gojo shrieks, offended, hand resting on his heart as if he has been directly wounded. 

"It's unsettlingly happy. I made an assumption," Nanamin shrugs, before lowering himself to the ground to commence eating with them. 

"Yeah, you've got one freaky smile, Gojo," Illayona teases, and in seconds, she's being met with a face full of flying onigiri, rice and pickled plum lingering on her face and falling to the ground. "You shit!"