Libertas

I stood there, motionless. Stuck in a room surrounded by a white light, unsure of whether it was magic or some strange material. I observed my only surroundings, children with strained expressions.

Were they uncomfortable?

I looked at the children around me, my expression ever unchanging. From what I could tell, they were uncomfortable with their current situation.

Oh that's right, this has been going on for around for almost 11 years now.

"Schola Perfectus" Could be seen written in black ink near the top of the room.

This little experiment has been going on for centuries, both muggles and the wizarding community completely unaware. The only ones aware of this project, were the individuals at the highest level of status in the wizarding society.

I looked down at the black robes I was wearing, noticing they were cleaner than the ones I was wearing yesterday.

They must have switched our clothing again during our sleep.

I'm not sure if I should feel thankful for their generosity or disgust for the fact that adults changed the clothing of children.

"ARGH!" I heard a child scream beside me.

Unbothered and uninterested in the child, I continued looking forward, minding my own business.

Unfortunately, fate would not allow me to have peace, as the child happened to stumble onto the ground, right in front of me.

I could look away, but that would take energy.

I could continue to look at the child, that wouldn't take any energy.

But I would have to watch them squirm around, like a bug.

That would take energy.

Despite my internal struggle, I decided to remain looking at the child. It wasn't a matter of principle or efficiency, it wasn't even a matter of merit or demerit.

It was simply because I chose to do so.

The child continued to scream out in pain, as if they were being suffocated by an invisible force.

All I did was continue to stare at the child, my inner thoughts ever unchanging.

'Just like an insect.'

Suddenly, the child made eye contact with me. Their eyes widened, almost as if he saw a god themselves descend from the heavens.

"H-Help m-me...!" They yelped desperately.

I'm sure I could save the boy, but that would take energy.

Therefore, I am deciding not to do it.

Whilst remaining entirely motionless, I continued to stare at the boy. Yes, this place had truly made me a monster, a being with no capability of understanding other humans.

The child suddenly got a proper look at me and made a face of realisation.

"Subject Desperationis!" The child said, right before finally laying on the ground motionless.

It seems he isn't making anymore sounds, guess he's dead.

Oh well, what was I doing again?

"Line up!" I heard a familiar older male voice say.

I had begun to grow used to this voice, as that was the voice I would hear every day in this place.

All the children around me flocked towards a marked location on the floor, sorting themselves into a specific order.