intertwined

It took Ponyboy a couple days to work up the courage to be able to even think about calling Steve to hang out with him. Mostly since he knew the older male had to work. It was Saturday and he knew for sure that he wasn't scheduled.

The redhead hadn't seen him at the house, so he pulls out his phone and taps on Steve's contact. He'd gotten everyone's number down pat before leaving for college when he first left. Everyone demanded that he call and check in, or that he called if he needed absolutely anything. Anything at all.

Ponyboy holds the phone to his ear, listening to it ringing. It took a couple of rings before Steve actually answered the phone. The redhead was nervous that he wouldn't pick up after what happened with Johnny.

"Hey, Pony," the brunette greets, his voice sounding gentler over the phone than it ever did in person. "What's up?"

"Hey," Ponyboy starts. "I was... I was wondering if you wanted to hang out. Like, just the two of us. I thought that we could go ice skating."

"Ice skating? I haven't done that since I was a kid."

The redhead laughs, smiling against the receiver of his phone, leaning back onto his bed so that he was lying flat. He felt like a teenage girl who finally got the guts to actually call her crush. And in a way, that's exactly what it was.

"Yeah, well I wanted to go ice skating, and no one would go with me," Ponyboy lies.

Although he knew everyone that was free would drop whatever they had going on to come with him. Even if a good handful of them didn't even know how to skate. And as sweet as that was, he wanted Steve to himself. That was all part of the plan.

"Not even Johnny?"

He could hear a hint of bitterness in Steve's voice.

"Johnny's busy today," the redhead responds simply. "Hanging out with Dallas."

It wasn't far from the truth. Johnny really was hanging out with Dallas. The redhead just didn't bother to ask him. Besides, even if he did, he'd ask to see if it was the plan to get Steve out alone, and then say no.

"Oh..."

"So, do you wanna come skating with me?" Ponyboy asks gently. "I'll even pay if you're worried about it."

"You ain't paying for shit," Steve says quickly, shutting that idea down just as quickly as it started, "I'm paying. I'll be at your house in five. Be around."

And with that, Steve hangs up without saying goodbye. Ponyboy turns off his phone and he grins widely, resisting the urge to kick his feet out and yell. He was really excited to be hanging out with Steve.

He was quick to jump up and out of bed, starting to get around. The male was taking everything seriously as he got dressed, thinking more of how he wanted to look for Steve rather than about how warm he needed to be.

By the time he slides his shoes on, he heard someone honking outside of the house. Immediately he knew that it was Steve waiting for him. The redhead rushes to the front door, opening it and sliding outside, closing the door behind him.

Ponyboy grins widely at the sight of Steve in the truck, the older male smiling gently at him. It made the redhead's heart melt on the spot. He gets into the passenger seat and buckles up, rubbing his hands together. He was already cold.

Steve pulls away from the house and starts driving toward the skating rink. It was outdoors and there was a skate renting fee, as with most places. The brunette glances at Ponyboy as he sits excitedly in the passenger seat. He was smiling so wide and he wondered if it was because of him.