the countdown

Christmas has come and gone, leaving them now on New Year's Eve. 2022 was about to be over and 2023 was going to be new and fresh. At least it's what Ponyboy hoped for. With the new year, he always liked to set new goals and look forward to plenty of experiences.

Going into the new year with Steve as his boyfriend was exciting. He was hoping that the two of them made it far together. He'd been waiting so long for a chance to be with him. And he finally got it. It was like the world's greatest present that he could ever get.

Everyone was spread around Darry's living room, watching the TV. So far it was just news anchors saying how much time they had left before introducing a famous singer to perform for them. The redhead was having a good time.

Steve and Ponyboy were squished together on the couch, the redhead practically in his lap, Johnny and Dallas taking up the rest of the couch. Dallas insisted on getting to stretch his legs a little, so it prevented a fifth person from taking up the couch. Not that anyone else would sit there.

Darry was in his recliner with Two-Bit sitting in front of him, head leaned back against the armrest as he watched whoever was performing. Soda was sat in front of the couch, happily keeping himself entertained with the TV, volume loud and all of the colorful lights.

It was half past eleven 'o'clock, only a half hour away from the ball dropping. There were snacks spread out on the coffee table, Darry insisting that with so many people, one of them was bound to be hungry. He enjoyed taking care of people, finding it much easier with everyone so grown up.

Steve turns his head slightly, smiling at his boyfriend. He was so lucky to have him, even if they hadn't been dating for very long. The brunette felt like good things were coming their way. It was exciting to think about.

"You gonna kiss me when the ball drops?" Ponyboy whispers into his ear, a fond smile on his lips.

"Of course I am," the brunette whispers in response, pressing a feather-light kiss right below his ear. "Wouldn't dream of kissing anyone else."

Ponyboy giggles gently, resting his head against the older male's. Everyone was too caught up in the TV to even notice that they were being affectionate with one another. There was alcohol as well, a small number already having been drunk. Two-Bit drank, but it was much more laid back than from when they were young. It was more of a special occasion now than anything.

Darry even had a beer on the stand next to his recliner, already opened. Although only a sip had been taken out of it. He wasn't much of a drinker, never really has been. Dallas had a beer as well in his empty hand, but Ponyboy knew well enough that Johnny was keeping him limited since he never liked drinking.

No one else had touched a drop, sticking to water or another drink from the kitchen.

The redhead eventually shifts, getting up from the couch. He stretches before heading into the kitchen. He wanted a Pepsi. The male still loved them, even after so long. They were his favorite. He practically only drank that and water in college. He leans against the counter, cracking the can open and taking a sip.

It wasn't long until Steve joined him, pressing a kiss to his cheek and wrapping an arm around him. They could take advantage of his moment and have some time together. Ponyboy leans into his boyfriend, smiling contently. It felt good to be in his arms, even if it was only a side hug of sorts.

"Getting a drink?" The redhead asks playfully.

"Probably," Steve answers. "But I just wanted to accompany you."

The redhead giggles, leaning down a little to press their lips together gently. The older male kisses back, enjoying their own little moment alone. It was definitely hard with a house full of people. But they'd reveal themselves soon enough and would get to be affectionate whenever they wanted.