Chapter One | Horrid

MADDIE P.O.V

Okay, for starters, my name is Maddie James. My father and mother abandoned me when I was just a baby and left me in foster care. I've moved around so much, to different foster homes and it's just my luck that each and every home I've lived in, I've been abused. To me, the abuse has become a part of my everyday life.

I walk into the bathroom that is connected to my room and look at myself in the mirror. My dirty blond hair is a mess and I have bruises and bags under my eyes; probably from the beating I got last night by my foster dad.

I pick up my razor from in the sink drawer and slice it across my arm. The blood starts to poor down into the sink and I feel an amazing relief after the 20th cut. I put the razor down and rinse the sink to show no trances of my blood.

I walk out of the bathroom and pull on a long sleeve black shirt and a black hoodie. I put on a pair on skinny jeans and wince as I pull them over the cuts on my legs. Cutting helps take away the pain of the everyday beatings. I mean yes, it hurts at first but then it feels like everything is being lifted off my shoulders.

I walk down the stairs to see my foster mom and dad waiting for me at the bottom.

"Good morning Maddie, how did you sleep?" My foster mom asks. Okay, either she's on a new drug or there's someone in the house.

I hear footsteps moving about the house and since it's just them and me that live here someone is definitely in the house.

As the steps get closer and closer to me I wonder just who it could be. A tall man that I instantly recognized as one of the many people who help foster children find their way to a good family.

"How are you this morning Madeline?" He asks using my actual name.

Horrid.

"Good." I lie.

"That's good. Now I have some very good news for you." He says shifting his weight. "You've been adopted."

"I've been what?" I ask in shock.

"Adopted. A family up in Canada has adopted you."

"Where?" I ask.

"Canada, sweetie." He says sweetly. "Please go get your things, we need to get going."

I walk back up the stairs and pile everything I own into a few bags and run back to the bottom of the stairs. I can't wait to get out of this house. I've lived here for just under a month and yet I've managed to get a broken rib and nose along with a sprained wrist.

I push my things into the small black car that the man brought and as he started it up and we pulled away I realize that I will never have to see any of the people that abused me again and I can get a clean start.

* * *

Okay, so this is really short but it's only an introduction to everything. I've just begun editing this book because I have recently finished it. If you're a new reader, I really hope that you like this book and continue on with reading.

Xoxo,

Maddison Danielle

(Updated and edited on 10/22/16)