Chapter Four : Mate

MADDIE P.O.V.

"Maddie!" I hear someone shout.

My eyes flutter open and I see all three girls standing over my bed. Why did they have to wake me up? I was perfectly happy sleeping.

"We were wondering if you would like to come and hang with us for a while." Lacey says sitting on the edge of the bed.

"I don't know." I say shyly.

"Whats wrong?" Layla asks with a sad face.

"It's nothing." I reply pulling at my sleeves.

"Something's up, please, Maddie." Layla begs.

I take a deep breath and start to explain. "My whole life I would constantly look over my shoulder because I would just be waiting to get hit. Every damn home that I stayed at since I was seven I was abused in. I didn't attend school much and when I twelve depression hit me like a brick. When I was four-teen, I started cutting." With that I lift my sleeves and show them my scars.

"Who else knows about this?" Erin asks.

"Xavier. I wasn't careful yesterday and he saw the scars and I had to do a lot of explaining." I say. "Please don't tell anyone!"

"You don't have to worry, we wont tell a soul." Erin says.

"Thank you so much." I say with smile.

I get up off the bed and walk over to the bathroom shutting the door right behind me.

I look at my reflection in the mirror and notice that the darkness under my eyes is gone and I actually look okay.

I splash cold water over my face and brush my hair out. Without the black eyes and messy hair I actually look normal.

I open the door and enter my room once again. The girls eyes all seem to fall on me all at once.

"So, why do you want me to come with you?" I ask.

"Because we want you to have fun and we all want to be your friends." Layla says.

"Well, where are we going?" I asks.

"Well, we're planning on hanging in the basement because it's open and there's a T.V. down there." Erin answers.

"Okay." I say. I mean, I know I'm not going to win against them in an argument.

We walk down the stairs to the main floor and than another flight of steps to the basement. It is much cooler than the rest of the house.

As I enter the room where everyone else is I smell the most amazing smell anyone could ever imagine smelling. I can't even describe it.

"Hey Maddie, this is Jake." Xavier says pointing.

"Hi." I mumble.

"Okay, who's up for video games?" Lucas yells.

"And candy and pop?" Layla asks picking up bags of candy and a case a pepsi.

"Yeah sure, why not." Xavier says catching a bag of candy that Layla throws his way.

"Maddie?" Layla asks holding out a can of pepsi and a bag of gummy bears.

"No thanks, I don't eat candy or drink pop." I say feeling odd.

"You don't drink pop or eat candy?" Jake asks sitting up straighter.

"Nope, I mean its not like I haven't ever had candy, I just don't like it." I shrug.

"You are one weird teen." Jake chuckles.

"You don't know the half of it." I reply looking down at my feet.

"What was that?" Jake asks.

"Nothing. It's in my past now."

I look up to see the girls shaking their heads like "don't ask". I'm grateful that I will now have people like them in my life and I'm honestly happy to call them my friends.

***
JAKE P.O.V.

As I walked into the house I could tell that something was different, something was off.

"Yo! Xavier, where are ya?" I shout thought the house.

"Dude, no need to shout I think my sis is sleeping." He says coming around a corner. Sister? Xavier doesn't have a sister. I mean it's hard for our kind to conceive once and nearly impossible to conceive twice.

"Who are you talking about? You don't have a sister." I retort as we walk down to the basement.

"Don't you remember you doofus, mom and dad wanted another child so they adopted one." He explains.

"And when did you tell me this?" I question.

"Everyday for the last month!" He shouts.

"Who is she?" I ask.

"She's a wolf Jake but she doesn't know it. She was given up when she was a baby and we still aren't sure why." He explains.

"How old is she now?" I ask skeptically.

"Six-teen." He replies and my eyes go wide.

"You don't think?" My wolf, Ace asks.

"No..." I reply to him.

I watch as the door opens to the wreck room that Xavier and I are now sitting in and see the girls pile in. As she enters I smell the most wonderful smell I could ever imagine. It smells like heaven.

"Mate! Mate! Mate!" Ace shouts.

"Keep calm you idiot she doesn't know what she is." I remind him.

"We finally found her Jake! We finally found her!" He says.

"I know." I smile.