Chapter One: The Girl In The Stands

On a chilly September evening, in the last few months of her junior year of high school, Violet Adlon sat alone on the bleachers that overlooked the school baseball field.
The wind whipped at her sandy blonde hair, much to her annoyance. She dug around in her backpack for a beanie and pulled it over her head. Satisfied that her hair wasn't going anywhere, she leaned back on the bench and sipped her takeaway coffee, getting comfortable.
She shivered and drew her jacket around herself,  tucking her knees to her chest. Her scarf and beanie could only do so much to mitigate the harsh chill that usually set in around sunset.
The climate didn't faze the girls on the baseball team, who continued running training drills on the diamond as if it were sunny and warm out.
Violet watched intently as they began to do shuttle sprints back and forth on the grass, almost leaning forward out of her seat.
Two specific players captured her attention more than the rest, two girls who seemed to be having a push-up competition.
One tall, muscular redhead, and a shorter girl with dark skin and a blue and white ball cap.

"Whatcha doin', Vi?"

Violet jumped and turned to face the person who had snuck up on her.
Louis, her best friend, stood there with a shit-eating grin on his face. He was flanked by Mitch, their mutual friend.

"Nothing, what do you want?" Vi said defensively.

Louis leaned back on the railing of the stands, the tails of his sheepskin coat flapping in the breeze.
Mitch took a seat next to him on one of the benches.

"Nothing, just came to see what you were doing."

"You're that bored?" Vi said.

Louis shook his head, making his dreads bounce around wildly.

"No, we just got out of detention."

"Dentition, you?" She said in disbelief.

"Yeah, apparently standing next to someone who threw a firecracker at a teacher's car and laughing counts as aiding and abetting." He said.

"Heh, still funny." Mitch chuckled to himself.

"You still haven't answered my question by the way." Louis said, "how come you're here?"

"Yeah, I thought you hated baseball." Mitch added.

Louis looked over at the girls training, then back at Violet, then he did a double take.

"Wait, are you here just to check out girls?"

Violet stared at him, blank faced.

"...Yes..." she grumbled begrudgingly, pulling her beanie down lower over her head.

"You're a total creep, dude." Mitch laughed.

"Thanks. Can you leave?"

"Hold on, how often do you come here?" Louis followed up.

Violet sighed defeatedly and sank lower in her seat.

"Every Wednesday, for the last couple of weeks..."

"Do you watch the games?"

She shook her head.

"Never watched a game of baseball in my life."