015

Emily's POV

It is the next day after my birthday, Max asked Dustin for my phone number and texted me, asking if id like to come over and hang out tomorrow. Sadly haven't heard from Eddie yet. I don't dare text him first.

Mom is making lunch and I'm sitting in the kitchen keeping her company. "Did you have fun yesterday?" She asks.

"Yes I did. Max wants to hang out. I think she might be my friend."

"I'm so happy to hear that, sweetie. I can drive you to her house." She looks up from her cooking to shoot me a smile.

"Me too."

"What about that Munson kid? Y'all seemed awfully close." Her smile turns into a frown.

"I don't know. He's nice, maybe he'll be my friend too." I say trying to test the waters.

"I think he wants to me be more than your friend." She looks at me like she's waiting to see how I react.

"Would that be the worst thing ever?" I uncomfortably laugh.

"Yes." Damn okay.

"Why?"

"Do I really need to tell you? You can do so much better. He's a super senior, going no where in life."

I don't even know how to respond to that. How can she assume that after barely meeting him, never giving him a chance.

"How can you say that?"

"I know exactly what type of boy he is. Probably hopped up on drugs."

"I don't want talk about this anymore." I say firmly, getting up from the table and leaving the room. As soon as I'm out of her sight, I start crying. Then I start crying even more because why am I crying. Over this boy I met a week ago.

-

The next day rolls around and I suppose to go to Max's house soon. Mom said she take me yesterday but after the last one on one conversation we had I rather not remind her. I leave my room and start to head down stairs, it sounds like Mom getting ready to leave.

"Can you take me to Max's house?" I ask showing her the address Max gave me.

"Yeah let's go. I can drop you off on my way."

Once in the car the silence is so loud, it's uncomfortable. Music plays quietly in the background. I don't dare to look her away, keep my eyes looking outside the window.

"Everything okay?" She asks breaking the silence.

"I'm fine."

"If this about yesterday I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said all that."

"It's okay." I lie.

"I just got my baby back and I don't wanna loose you to some stranger already." She sighs.

"You're not gonna loose me."

"I know but as of yesterday you're legally adult."

I laugh, "Legally an adult, socially and mentally disabled."

"Don't say that."

"It's true."

"I really am sorry. I saw y'all outside hugging. Obviously he cares about you in some capacity. He cared enough to buy you that record player. I haven't seen you smile nearly as much as when he was around yesterday." She let's out a big sigh for saying this next part, "If you really like this Eddie kid, maybe I can give it a chance." She puts a huge emphasis on maybe.

"Really?" I ask excitedly.

"Maybe." That's good enough for me. Now the mother fucker just needs to text me. I look down at it and nothing from him.

Eventually we arrive at Max's trailer park. I can see it moms face she's trying so hard not to be judgmental. We drive past her neighbors house and there's a van parked out side, it looks familiar. I can't place it.

She parks in front, when I try to get out she says, "Love you. Please be safe."

"I will, love you mom." She worriedly smiles and drives off.

-

Max and I spent hours in her room. She was catching me up on all the Hawkins drama. She pulled out a year book at points at all the cute juniors from last year that would be a senior this year with me.

"Why are you showing me them?"

"Just to show you there's more this town has to offer then Eddie Munson." I laugh and she doesn't, damn she wasn't joking.

"We'll what if I want Munson?" I ask.

"Why would you want that?" She points to where he year book photo should have been. It reads not pictured 'Edward Munson'.

"He's kind and I think he's so beautiful." I cringe with every word realizing I haven't told anyone that.

"Kind?" She busts out laughing, "Maybe to you."

"It's really not that deep."

"Have you guys kissed?"

"No."

She looks puzzled, "Weird."

"We're just friends as of now, why is that weird?"

"He moves fast, real fast."

"How do you know this?" I ask.

"He's my neighbor. Plus people talk." That's when it clicks that the van is Eddie's.

"I don't care what people say." I say confidently.

"Maybe you should." That's all it took for my confidence to drop, to start second guessing everything I thought about Eddie.

I think she's senses my change in mood cause she asks if I'd like to learn how to skateboard. I agree and we go outside.

"You're wearing the wrong shoes and have no pads. This is gonna be great." She give me a smile that does not reassure me.

She instructs me to stand on it and don't move yet. I can do that. She grabs a hold of my wrists and we start moving.

"See that ain't bad." She says and let's go of me. Almost immediately I hit a rock and fall backwoods and with no way to catch myself I hit my head on something. I half way sit up and touch the back of my head, it hurts. When I look at my hand it's covered in blood. I can hear Max screaming to someone but I can't see her.