Feelings (Cole)

(I didn't make this character, kiing_goat on insta made him and gave him to me!)

"Looks like you beat me," came a gruff voice, "here's your badge, kid."

The challenger happily ran off. I walked up to the serious rock type gym leader.

"I'm here to challenge you," I said, playfully.

"Now I know damn well you aren't here to challenge me."

"Oh come on Cole, don't be so serious! It's in good fun. What do you say we go and get some coffee in a bit?"

"Absolutely not, I need to stay and watch my gym. I only trust myself to do so."

I sighed at this. I love him so much, but I swear sometimes I don't know what to do with him. I just want him to spend time with me is all- it's not like I'm asking to hold hands with him for Arceus' sake! I looked up at him, staring deeply into his eyes for a minute. Sometimes I wonder what he's thinking about; his gym? Beating his challengers? Or perhaps more ways to avoid me.

"You never wanna go anywhere with me."

I felt sad upon saying this. I could've sworn a surprised look flashed across his face, even for just a second.

"...That isn't true."

"Yes it is! It's always the same lame excuse and it kinda hurts, Cole."

He pinched the bridge of his nose for a moment, as if he was upset or annoyed with me. He probably is, but... I needed to get it off my chest.

"Will you just let me do my job?"

"Fine..."

And with that, I walked off and left the gym, feeling like I was going to cry. I wish he'd understand that I really truly like his company, at least whenever he has time to spare. He was never this focused on avoiding me. Shit, I should've asked him what I'd done previously. Other than annoy him, I guess. I really hope he doesn't hate me...

"That Cole is so hot!" I heard a woman giggle to her friends. Why did I feel a pang of jealously...? I kept my head down and kept walking. I became so deep into my own thoughts that I didn't even notice myself bumping into her, at first, "ew, watch where you're going. Oh my Arceus, did you just come from Cole's gym? Aw, did you lose or something?"

"No, I was just talking to him," I sneered. I just wanted to think in peace. Her friends shoved me to the ground, calling me names for talking back. But I didn't care, I was more upset about what happened with Cole. I teared up some thinking about him.

"Get away from her," Cole stepped in front of me, voice dangerously low. The women scrambled off as I quickly wiped the tears away. I didn't want him to see me cry. He helped me up. "Are you okay? You aren't hurt, are you?"

He sounds worried. I shook my head.

"No, I'm alright," I replied, softly. He pulled me into a hug.

"It was stupid of me to be so rude. I just... I don't know how to act around you sometimes."

"Huh? What do you mean? Cole, you know you can tell me anything, I'm always here to listen. I was just worried that you hated me, I want to know what I did wrong..."

"But, you didn't do anything. I certainly don't hate you, either. Let's go get that coffee you wanted."

I nodded, walking with him to that new cafè I've been wanting to go to for a while. We both put in our coffee orders and waited around. I caught Cole glancing at me a few times, but when I looked back at him, he quickly looked away. Why's he acting so strange all of a sudden? It's not bad, it just piques my curiosity. Once we got our coffee, we sat down at a table by the window. I looked out of it, looking somewhat distant.

Cole snapped me out of my thoughts when his hand brushed against mine.

"I'm sorry, I-" he looked down at his coffee for a moment, "I don't normally feel this way, but... I just want to say that your persistence is admirable."

"You never found me annoying?" I looked over at him.

"No, never. Deep down, I always wanted you to come back. Even if I'd turned you down, which I never stopped feeling like a complete idiot for, I secretly wanted you to keep asking."

I smiled at this, "hey, just don't keep turning me down when you actually have the time to go out with me, okay?"

"I promise. It feels good to tell you how I feel, but I'm afraid that I'm not done. Cris, you make me feel special. Like, more than anyone else makes me feel. I'm not talking the kind of special that comes with being a gym leader, but the kind that makes me feel all warm inside. I feel that everytime I look at you, especially when you're all bubbly that day, or when you bring me things like the cookies you baked or those detailed drawings. I have all of your art displayed at my house. You're so kind. If you didn't get the hint by now... I truly love you."

"Oh Cole..." I gently held his hands in mine, happy tears threatening to escape my eyes, "you don't know how long I've been wanting to hear that. I have loved you for quite some time now and it's a huge relief that the feeling is mutual. You're amazing; I admire you all the time! Not just as someone who's a talented gym leader, but as someone who genuinely makes me feel so comfortable. My feelings for you have never faded. I love you too."

As he leaned in, I did too, giving him a gentle kiss, however one still full of love. We both slowly pulled away, unable to stop smiling. Our fingers entwined as we continued drinking our coffee.