part seven - babysit him, please.

Figure leans in towards Will, getting awfully close into Seeks personal boundaries. He growls up at the other, shifting sideways into a position where he's standing directly by Will's side.

It appears to be the wrong thing to do, however, because the boy squeaks and latches onto Seek's arm like it's a vice. Distantly, Seek questions the boy's decision to not allow him to bind their hands together previously if he was just going to be sticking to him like a leech.

YOU CAN NOT KEEP HIM, Figure tells him suddenly, like he didn't already know that. REGARDLESS OF HIS AGE, IT IS UNFIT FOR A HUMAN TO STAY WITH YOU.

Now that just sounded like an insult and slight to his capabilities.

Are you calling me incompetent? Seek snarls, eye narrowing dangerously as the sclera begins to glow violently and his pupil sharpens into a slit.

Figure seems to waver at the open aggressiveness but keeps firm. IT IS AGAINST THE RULES. He looks down at Seek, all thoughtful and contemplative.

Then we get him out. He spares a glance at the child hugging his arm, lifting his other hand up, fingers twitching, before pausing hesitantly and lowering it back to his side. Figure doesn't miss the aborted gesture.

WHY

WHY.

Seek is very close to just browbeating the other entity with vulgar words, but stifles them all into a weary sigh. Duty, he answers simply, the response sounding odd in his head. When he turns his neck a little to gaze down at Will, who's still clutching at his arm, he ruffles the boy's hair affectionately.

The action causes him to look up abruptly from where he'd been staring at Figure with frightened eyes, surprise littering his expression when he notices Seek's eyelid upturned slightly in what he could make out to be a brief grin

There's an audible chirping coming from somewhere on the walls, no doubt the Eyes talking amongst themselves once more.

I SEE.

Figure straightens to his full, overtowering height, stilling for a moment before slouching and then turning around, lengthy arms sliding across the floor with him. Seek does the best impression of a frown as he can manage, nudging the boy gently as they reconnect hands, following behind the entity.

You do not object to my intentions? He asked, hand tightening around the smaller one within his own. I have indeed broken the rules that we've been designated to stand by, but I am fully validated in the fact that we are not to kill children.

By the end of Seek's distressed tirade, Figure had decided to sit on the ground, legs splayed out in front of him. I DO NOT, QUITE FRANKLY, CARE IN YOUR AFFAIRS, SEEK. He told him forwardly, his left foot jerking up shortly when Will accidentally collided with it. WHAT YOU DECIDE TO DO WITH THIS... CHILD.... IS NOT MY CONCERN. WHETHER YOU SHIRK YOUR OTHER DUTIES IS ANOTHER ISSUE.

So you will not aid me in my task

So you will not aid me in my task. Seek stated it as though he already knew what the answer was going to be.

NO.

Well, this was enlightening.

Seek rubbed a hand down his face with his eye closed, exhaling heavily as the true weight of the responsibility he's just taken on pulls down on him. Part of him wonders why he's even going so far as to assist a human and how much easier it would be to just not.

This wasn't his job.

This wasn't what he was made for.

But when he looks at the boy, so small, so vulnerable and always close to tears, he's reminded of why he'd hesitated on killing him in the beginning to start with.

I need someone to look after him for a few minutes, Seek tells Figure. Will startles at the statement, wide eyes gaping up at him with his mouth moving silently. I will be back, he adds delicately, chuckling deeply at the relief that floods in through the boy's eyes.

And isn't that an odd development.

There's a small warmth that blossoms in Seek's chest at having that knowledge. To know that there was some degree of trust and dependence that the boy had in him was enough to fill him with that similar feeling of maniacal glee that runs through him when he's chasing down the unfortunate souls dashing away from him.

Probably not a good thing, but they'll work on it.

I AM NOT A BABYSITTER, Figure argues with a noise bordering a growl. DO NOT INVOLVE ME IN THESE—

Thank you for such short notice

Thank you for such short notice. Seek grabs Will by the pads of his shoulders and shuffles him to stand in front of Figure's outstretched legs, noting with a little guilt that the boy had stiffened up like a stone statue and had ceased all movement completely by the time he released him. I will return shortly. He informs them both, turning on the heels of his feet and promptly dissolves into the obsidian black puddle that forms beneath him, sinking into the floor with one fluid motion.

—

Figure growls gravelly, more at himself and Seek rather than at anything else.

Meanwhile, Will cries.