LOCKED

I'm woken up by an unusual noise. 

But the noise is gone and it's all silent again before I get to find out the source. It's still pitch dark and the clock shows 3 AM. 

Still no sign of Jake. 

I could see the frustration and anger building up inside me now. I wanted to get out of here. The questions were now countless inside my brain.

Then I realized, I had blindly trusted Jake. I believed him when he said I was in danger. I didn't question him about where we were, I didn't think of it at that time because even though I didn't know anything about Jake or what kind of a person he was, I knew I could trust him. He knew I trusted him, what if he took advantage of that? But what would he gain from locking me here? Why would he lie to me? I was no use to him. It had to be something else. I had to find out. There's always a clue, always something... it was impossible to vanish without trace.

I leave the bed and look around me. I first check the table where Jake had his equipment laying around. There was nothing except an empty diary. That was probably here before we arrived. I check the drawers, cupboards, bathroom, and every inch of the room but nothing. 

Jake is smart. I knew he had the ability to vanish with no trace, he was an expert in that field. But I had read endless crime fiction novels. He didn't know, I had researched and studied and read all the books I could find on crime, dark psychology, and more related genres. This is how you turn out when you are a detective's daughter.

Defeated, I sit back on the bed. And that's when I see it. Hidden on the curtains. So tiny, almost invisible.

A mini spy camera...

My heart breaks. Jake hid a camera to monitor my movements that meant, he really did locked me here. I turn the camera towards the windows. 

That noise again. There's someone outside. Very near to the door.

My breathing stops. Is someone trying to open the door?   

My eyes scan the room for some weapon but unable to find anything, I position the chair in front of me in panic. This is a stupid idea, Jade.

The door slowly creaks open and there's an unfamiliar woman peers in with a huge smile on her face. 

"Hello there." She throws the door wide open and enters. 

"Who are you?" My voice cracks and I clear my throat. 

She ignores my question and sits on the bed. She pats to her side "Sit."

"Who the hell are you?" with my voice stronger. 

She smirks "Calm down. I'm not going to kill you." She repeats "Sit."

I sit on the chair before me, pastering a fake smile "Who the hell are you?"

"I cannot answer that."

"Then tell me where are you here?"

She leans forward "I'm here to meet Jake." she adds "But I guess he's not here."

Who is this woman? 

"How do you know Jake?" 

She seems to be observing me and at the same time thinking of how to reply. 

I don't give her a chance to speak "Look, I don't know you. I don't know why you are here or what connection you have with Jake but as you can see, there's no Jake here so you can leave."

It's as if she didn't hear anything I just said "Jake talked about you, you know."

Seriously, who is this woman? Jake... talked about me? Talked what about me?

She starts "He said-" but is interrupted because Jake enters. 

Wow.

I pretend I can't permanently speak because it was so tough to control not saying what I wanted to say at that time. I don't move. I try to remain calm but inside I could feel everything boiling threatening to spill out any second. 

Jake doesn't even look at me. He looks at her and says "Scarlett." 

She gets up and hugs him "Jake! It's so nice to see you again."

He rests his hand on her back as she hugs him. And it somehow crushes me completely. 

When she withdraws he says "Good to see you again too and this time I'm not even going to ask how you found me."

He shoves his bag on the side of the bed and removes his cap before he looks at me and he doesn't say anything. Nothing. Just an emotionless look after what he did to me. But I keep glaring at him and he looks away.

Turning my face to Scarlett, I speak with an obvious fake smile "I think you should leave." My voice reveals my frustration which I didn't intend. 

She looks at Jake "Oh yeah, sure. I just wanted to let Jake know that he is safe, for now. But he should hurry up too because I cannot do it for much longer." 

Wait. Do WHAT for much longer?

Jake nods "Thank you, again. And don't worry about us, we'll be fine."

She leaves and Jake turns to me "Jade."

I had nothing left to say. I was officially foolish now. I didn't know what was happening, I didn't know why Jake locked me, I didn't know why he would leave a spy camera, I didn't know where were we, I didn't know that woman or anything that was going on between them and most importantly, I didn't know who was standing in front of me or if I could trust him again. I just wanted to sit in a corner and cry and be alone. 

Jake walks closer "Jade, we need to talk."

I shrug, sounding uninterested "I don't want to talk." I know he's staring at me but I don't look at him, I don't want to anymore.

 "You are angry." He gets down on one knee so that he could look at me. I avoid his eyes and stare down at my hands. 

"Let me explain." He whispers softly and my eyes glance at his face for just a second. 

I reply coldly "I don't want any explanation." I get up, pushing my chair back "We should get going."

Was I being overdramatic? Because I just couldn't bear to talk to him right now, I was that angry. I needed to calm down first. I didn't care if I was being really mean right now. He kind of deserved it.