Promise | Zombie au

summary: You and Jinx break two unsaid rules ever since the apocalypse started, never split up and never make promises. Promises were never guaranteed, especially in your current living conditions. But a promise of a life with your soulmate? You could get by it.

warnings: some parts were rushed so excuse the bad writing, zombie apocalypse, zombie attack, Jinx has a lil breakdown :( kind of angsty? other than that; FLUFF

word count: 3.5k

***

They were everywhere, not just the very bottom of the undercity. Before, you saw a shimmer head in the streets and ran to the other side of the road, not wanting to mess with them. The difference now is that they actually follow you, and bite you. Or sometimes they just kill you.

There was a mistake in the lab.

Unlike before, when someone took shimmer, they immediately became addicted. People couldn't live without it but it slowly killed them.

If you worked for Silco, you took it, you were told what to do, killed whoever you were ordered to kill, then moved on. But now it's permanent. You can no longer control it, and it spreads. Shimmer, that was once a drug, has become a disease.

It spread fast; no one saw it coming. You used see a shimmer head and think nothing of it. But now you run. Run before it can catch you and infect you.

Which was a very difficult task, because shimmer makes its host more alive in many ways. It enhances everything about you, strength, speed, stamina, all while it slowly kills you. Shimmer can make you ten times stronger than Silco's right hand man. It was almost impossible to beat them. That is unless you shot them in the head. Or blow them to pieces.

Lucky for you, you have a girlfriend who plays with guns and blows shit up for fun.

The two of you were on the hunt for food, your current supplies running low. And while you found food before entering the forest, you also needed to find water and shelter—the water in the undercity was never clean, so you had to do it yourselves. Meaning you also needed to create a fire, which wasn't too difficult to be done, you had what you needed for it, but knowing all the extra work that came with it annoyed you.

And now here you were, finally at the fork in the road.

Splitting up was never a good idea, especially when nighttime was near, but you had to get your supplies as quick as possible. You couldn't do that if you both were searching in the same place, right?

You swore you saw the reflection of water when you were on top of the smaller than usual-mountain-earlier. It was somewhere hidden in the forest you were currently trudging through, trailing the opposite way of the small building Jinx spotted with her telescope. It looked abandoned, meaning it could be empty, which is why she had to check it out to see if it could be used as temporary shelter while you filled up a bucket of water. It could be filled with shimmer heads.

You'd discussed the possibility of it being filled with the infected for the past however long you'd walked. She'd come to the conclusion that she would just blow the place to bits if it was. And while her solution didn't satisfy you, you knew she was better than okay at handling weapons. But even then, backup never hurt. "It's a done deal," she'd said.

"But we can just go together!"

"We need water!"

Jinx clasped her hands around yours, searching your eyes in attempt of reassurance.

"You promise me you'll be safe?" You both knew you couldn't make promises like that, because in this new reality, survival wasn't guaranteed. But she needed something to hold onto, otherwise you'd be stuck out in the middle of nowhere with no fire, trying to calm her down from a panic attack.