Birthday Batter

summary: you're baking a cake and jinx is curious as to why
words: 1.4k
a/n: happy birthday to my beloved ☹️

***

She's been watching you for the past ten minutes, trying so hard not to fuck up a cake recipe.

She came into your kitchen, hugging you from behind, glimpsing over your shoulder, watching with furrowed brows as you mixed together some batter. Birthday batter, that should've been enough to let her know.

You turned your head to peck her nose, "Hey Pow Pow." She buried her face in your neck, the nickname always getting to her. You knew of Powder and Jinx, of how they were two different beings, how she could never be Powder again. But she knew that was a lie, ever since meeting you, she could feel Powder coming back. And it made her feel loved knowing you appreciated both sides of her. "Hey toots."

You stopped your whisking and turned around fully, hugging her body to yours, "you weren't supposed to be up yet."

And you're right, she wasn't. Yet she couldn't help but notice she was no longer using your chest as a pillow and couldn't hear your heartbeat which usually lulled her to sleep. She woke up upset that you weren't there, she was alone, the bed cold and empty. So she sought out to find you in her still sleepy state, and there you were, in shorts and a too-big t-shirt with an apron over it. "Missed you," was all she could say.

You smiled, nudging your noses, "that's my shirt."

Jinx felt hot all of the sudden, bashful. You always made her feel this way. "Yeah....you weren't there when I woke up. Wanted to feel close to you." You pouted as she buried her face in your chest, god she was too adorable.

"'M sorry, was baking a surprise." She looked up confused, silently asking, surprise for what?

You only nodded to the counter, "sit."

She walked over to the edge, making grabby hands, which melted your heart. You grabbed her hips and sat her on the counter. You pecked her lips this time, then her cheek, her nose, then her lips again, continuing the pattern until she was left breathless and giggling.

"Watch me?" You asked softly. The answer was yes of course, yes a thousand times over. Anything to be near you. She was always clinging to you, but this morning she was feeling particularly cuddly.

So Jinx watched as your face scrunched up in concentration, lips pursed and tongue poking at your right cheek, she found it adorable.

Though she still didn't understand why you insisted on baking a cake from scratch on a random weekday, so early in the morning.

You only laughed quietly in her face, not in a mean way, but scoffing and telling her "yeah okay."

She was beyond confused, watching as you poured the batter into the pan and carefully set it in the oven. Jinx knew you loved baking, but why you chose to make her favorite flavored cake, birthday batter (which is why she didn't think much of it). With her favorite frosting, buttercream, to which you were adding pink and blue food coloring in separate bowls. And her favorite sprinkles at the side, waiting to be used.

She was suspicious, was it for an anniversary? No, your nine month mark was two weeks ago. Your one year mark wasn't for a few months. Did she do something special that you felt the need to reward her for? Who knows. All she could do was watch and wonder.

She was brought out of her thoughts by your sudden squeal, "oops." Your bottom half and the floor was covered in flour.

Jinx snorted, "How did that even happen?"