parting is such sweet sorrow

It was finally time for Ponyboy to fly back to California. He had classes on Monday, and he had to get his things back into his dorm and unpacked. The redhead was incredibly sad about leaving Tulsa behind. As much as he loved getting out of town to find something new, leaving behind his favorite people would always sting.

He'd come back, he always did.

But that didn't mean that it didn't hurt any less.

Everyone was going to be accompanying Ponyboy to the airport. They all wanted to see him off and say goodbye, taking their time with every last second that they could. This gap of time away would be longer than the last.

It was around four months rather than two. That was so long in comparison. And some people felt that more than others.

Steve sits on Ponyboy's bed, watching as he packed his suitcase with sad eyes. He didn't want him to go, but he knew better than to stop him. The redhead was going to do great things with this opportunity. Only two more years and he was finished. Ponyboy could go wherever he wanted.

And Steve would follow him anywhere.

The brunette shifts a little, fiddling with the zipper on his boyfriend's backpack. It was already stuffed full of personal items and ready to go. He would make sure to visit as much as he could afford. Valentine's Day was definitely on the list. Ponyboy came back for spring break in April, so that would be more time. Even better was that the brunette's birthday fell into spring break. It felt almost perfect.

"You just gonna stare at my bag with those sad eyes of yours?" Ponyboy asks gently, moving to join Steve on the bed. He still had time to pack. "It's not forever..."

"I know it's not," Steve answers, resting his head against his shoulder. "But that doesn't make it any easier. I'm sad to see you go."

The redhead kisses his temple, wrapping an arm around him. He couldn't ever remember Steve being so soft before. It was nice to have that kind of effect on him. The younger male rubs his side in soft circles. They'd get through this, together.

"I'll miss you too, Stevie," Ponyboy murmurs. "But I'm going to call you so much that you'll probably get tired of hearing my voice."

"That could never happen. I love listening to you talk. Your voice is nice."

The younger male giggles.

"Then maybe I'll read you my essays to get some feedback."

"I'd love to."

Ponyboy carefully takes Steve's chin between his forefinger and thumb, tipping the older male's head upward to look at him. The brunette had a shy smile on his face. It was one that the redhead had grown to love. He presses their lips together gently, taking his time to pour all the love he could muster into the kiss.

Steve kisses back, melting into the younger male's touch. He thinks that he'll miss his kisses the most. Or maybe how his laughter sounded, the way his hair fell over his eyes after getting out of a shower, how he always reassured him that they'd be okay.

Maybe it was impossible to just choose one thing.

Ponyboy Curtis as a whole was someone to be missed.

The redhead breaks the kiss, looking into the brunette's eyes. It was funny that they both had green eyes. He remembered growing up hating green eyes, saying that every man with green eyes was bad and denying that his eyes were ever green to begin with.

Now green was certainly his favorite color.

"I love you," he murmurs.

"I love you, too."