blue skies and sunshine

Steve was chewing at his lower lip anxiously as he waited. He'd been counting down the days for a whole week. It seemed to drag on and on despite how he filled his time spending time with everyone and texting Ponyboy. The brunette was eager.

His eyes scanned around, watching as people walked around, chatting amongst themselves. He was here alone so that was nearly impossible to do. The male couldn't sit on his phone for too long, either. Although he did keep pulling it out to check the time, reading over texts as well.

The brunette was ready for three o'clock. And no matter how many times he's checked his phone, it didn't seem to be getting any closer. He looks at the back of his phone, trying to relax a little.

Stuck in his phone case was the picture that Ponyboy took with him on his birthday while visiting for spring break. Spring break had been filled with plenty of activities, some kept more private than others... Best birthday present ever.

The photo made him smile a little. It was him and Ponyboy sharing a kiss, both wearing birthday hats that the redhead insisted upon. It was tradition and he wanted to see Steve participate. And not being able to say no, he of course put the hat on.

He flips his phone over, checking the time again for the millionth time.

2:50 PM.

Steve takes a deep breath, hand shaking a little. He just couldn't wait to see Ponyboy again, this time for the whole summer. The brunette and him had already talked about everything that they'd do together. And their friends were in on all of it too. They'd all spend the summer together, soaking up the sun.

He opens his phone, scrolling through his gallery. Most of it was filled with Ponyboy now. Them on FaceTime or ones that Ponyboy sent him to ask an opinion on an outfit. And of course, plenty of pictures from when Steve visited California. It was a wonderful place, and he enjoyed the week that he spent there.

Steve remembered every moment from his gallery so vividly. He used to never do things like this, think about things so hard and take pictures to remember the moment.

He stops on a photo, smiling to himself. It was Ponyboy while on FaceTime, asleep. They'd talked late into the night and the redhead eventually ended up dozing off. The brunette had kept the call going, not able to keep the fond gaze out of his eyes. He was so beautiful as he rested. And to top it off, Steve eventually fell asleep, and he woke up to Ponyboy still on the call, staring at him.

"I couldn't hang up," Ponyboy had said quietly. "You look so sweet while you're sleeping."

"I could say the same about you," the brunette had managed to get out through a groggy voice.

Before he knew it, three 'o'clock had struck. The brunette was quick to pocket his phone, watching the doorway where he knew Ponyboy would appear from. Not all flights arrived on time, but he was so incredibly hopeful.

The seconds ticked by slowly and bled into minutes. He wouldn't be too much longer. At least Steve had hoped that he wouldn't be. The brunette was ready to make a scene in the airport, squeezing Ponyboy as tight as he could.

People slowly start pouring out of the doorway that Steve was watching. He perks up, an anxious smile on his lips. The last text he'd received from Ponyboy was him saying that he was boarding and wouldn't be able to text until after. The brunette had been quick to wish him a safe flight and told him that he loved him.

Steve saw Ponyboy first as the redhead made his way through the gate. His skin was tanned from the sun, and he had a silly looking pair of sunglasses on his head. It made the brunette chuckle a bit. The redhead looked more like a tourist rather than someone who was from here.

"Pony!"

Ponyboy perks up at hearing his name and he spots Steve within moments. He grins so wide that the older male was almost afraid his face would break. The redhead makes sure there wasn't anyone around before dropping his suitcase and ditching his backpack. He runs straight for his boyfriend, jumping into his arms.

The brunette caught him with surprising ease, helping the younger male wrap his legs around his waist. He holds the bottom of his thighs, grinning wider when the redhead cups his face and kisses him hard.

Steve kisses him back, trying his best not to stumble in place. The redhead was quite the armful sometimes. He'd been dreaming of this moment all week, wishing that time had gone faster than it did.

The redhead continued to kiss him until he had to pull away to breathe. Ponyboy pants gently, laughing breathlessly as he watches Steve try to steady his breathing. He leans down and presses their foreheads together.

"Is this how you're always going to greet me?" Steve asks playfully.

Ponyboy could only laugh almost obnoxiously as Steve held him, nodding his head. He would forever greet Steve like this when there was so much time between them. The redhead loved how flushed his boyfriend was, that dopey grin on his face.

It always made him remember how much he loved Steve to the ends of the Earth and back. He'd always come home to him, someone so excited and loving. The redhead was ready for summer to begin.

"I've missed you so much," the younger male says gently. "I couldn't stop thinking about today. I could hardly sleep."

The brunette chuckles, pecking his boyfriend's lips gently.

"I couldn't either. Kept tossing and turning."

Ponyboy giggles, thumbs stroking along Steve's cheekbones. He missed being able to hold his face in his hands, taking in every feature like it would be the last time he'd ever see him again. The redhead was ready for their forever to start.

"Are you ready to go home?" Steve asks, looking up into Ponyboy's eyes. His expression was so excited. Seeing that and the love in his eyes made his heart pound. "Everyone is expecting you back in one piece."

"They should be more worried about you coming back in one piece than me," the redhead teases, pecking his lips gently.

"I think I'll manage," the older male responds, his cheeks flushing a dark shade of red. "But there is one last thing I'd like to do before we head off."

"And that is?"

Steve kisses him again, hands squeezing the undersides of his thighs. One last kiss before going back to being around everyone. The redhead kisses him back, shoulders trembling as he tries not to laugh. Both of them were excited to spend time together.

The older male pulls away, panting gently.

"Ready?" Ponyboy practically whispers.

"As I'll ever be."

-

The end.

Thank you so much for everyone who has read this story, voted, commented, anything. I was so excited and nervous to post this and I don't regret it. I think that this story will forever be my baby. I spent a whole week doing nothing but going to work and coming home to write this, or writing this before I went in to work.

I can't believe that it's finally over. I'm going to miss being an active part in this story. Its just finished now and I get to sit back and watch.

A big shout out to roadtosolace who was my biggest commenter for this story. I had so much fun reading and responding to your comments. It made my experience with thus story even better. I appreciate you so much.

Again, thanks to everyone who supported this story and enjoyed reading it!

Hopefully I'm able to write something like this again <3

🎉 You've finished reading 𝐇𝐎𝐌𝐄 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐎𝐋𝐈𝐃𝐀𝐘𝐒. ( 𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘣𝘰𝘺 ) 🎉