Scene III

🐯

"Good morning Osaka! This is JPZ News. I am your host, Sato Takahashi. Today we are covering a story from the heart of the city, a place none other than our most famous izakaya. Last night, the owner, a man by the name of Rantaro Abe, was brutally injured in what could only be described as a bar fight. He was transported to the hospital and has since been arrested under suspicion of sexual harassment and assault."

Cigarette smoke drifted over the flatscreen TV as a man watched the news coverage with tense eyes. Another man in all black leaned over the couch to whisper something in his ear.

"Abe was so kind to his neighbors. I couldn't have seen this coming!" A woman exclaimed from the TV. "More young women are coming forward to share their stories. Some are as young as high schoolers. How could we have let this go on for so long? He fooled us all!"

The man hummed in response to his words. His gloved hand reached from the remote beside him, pressing the power button.

The screen turned black.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vans circled around the lounge, reporters stepping out to get word from the employees on the matter.

"How long have you worked for this izakaya?"

"Did you witness anything last night?"

"You worked alongside Minami. Did you have any idea this was going on?!"

Voices echoed as Bekkett and his coworkers walked around to the back of the establishment. His boss may have gotten fired, but it didn't take long for a new owner to take his place. He still had a shift to do, no matter what went on behind the scenes. A mass of bodies surrounded the door, knocking as the three of them made their way in safely, one of his coworkers giving sighing in relief.

"This job is hard enough. What makes these reporters think we have anything to do with Rantaro? That bastard.." He groaned, rubbing a hand over his dreary face.

"I know right? He spends all his time back here while we're out there doing all the damn work! I don't know what the hell he gets up to!" Another groaned along with him.

"Are we even surprised though? One look at him and you can tell he's a dog."

The two men made their way to the lockers, annoyance plastered on their faces.

🐰

Bekkett was quiet.. which wasn't too odd, but not making a single sarcastic comment about the scenario was out of character. Bekkett tried to calm his nerves and guilt. He lightly shook his head with an exasperated sigh and asked, "So who's the new boss? Is it going to be that guy's son..?"

🐯

"God, I hope not."

After they all changed into their typical uniforms, a man who looked to be in his 60s stepped into the room. He had a trimmed mustache and beard. His jet-black hair was tied tightly into a bun. His eyes were a misty gray like they were frosted over with clouds. He stood tall at a whopping 6'4". The room went quiet.

"Hello... employees." His voice was deep and airy at the same time. His forehead creased with rows of lines. Bekkett wondered if he spent most of his life angry. Just as he thought to himself, the tall man pointed to him quickly. He had long sleeves on, cuffed tightly at the wrists with silver engravings. The boy flinched.

"You. Bartending." He pointed down the row, assigning jobs to each person. They stood there, confused, but nodded.

🐰