Chapter 4

That afternoon, early evening, when I got home from the surf, mum already had dinner on the table and dad was watching his favourite game show on TV in the lounge room. "Make sure you hang out your wet stuff in the laundry before you come and eat," mum called out, as I made my way to the laundry with my wet togs, wetsuit and board. Once I tidied up, dried myself and locked my surfboard up in the laundry closet I headed back out to the dining room where dinner was on the table. "So how was work today?" Mum asked, as I sat down. Dad turned off the TV and also joined us at the table. I sighed. "It was average, I guess," I mumbled, as I dished up the potato bake in front of me. My parents glanced at each other. I could tell something was up, but I didn't know what. "Your father and I have an announcement to make," mum said suddenly. I looked up from my food and saw the strange looks on their faces. "Oh please don't tell me we are moving again," I said with a groan. Dad laughed. "No honey, we are not moving. However, you are. Since Cass left for NSW and we had to sell the apartment, your mother and I realised that you really have changed and proved to yourself and us these past 2 years. So, we actually invested into another apartment for you. It's close to your work but also close to the beach so you'll have plenty of time to surf without us bothering you or you bothering us," dad explained. I blinked. I could not believe this. My own dear parents kicking me out of the house? Again? "Ok what is this? Do you secretly not want me living here?" I blurted out. I couldn't control myself, I just had to know why. Mum raised an eyebrow at me. "Why Honey! I thought you'd be thrilled! It's your own place! And plus, your dad and I are retired now, we are thinking of buying a caravan and travelling further down the coastline, there's so much to see that we haven't seen," she explained, my dad nodding in agreement. I looked at them both with wide eyes, still shocked and unable to speak. Mum held up keys to my new apartment and handed it to me. "If you want to go look at it now, you can, but we can start moving things in tomorrow if you like," Mum told me. I took the keys from her outstretched hand in silence. They were trusting me this time?

After dinner, I didn't bother to go shower the days grime off me, I just pulled on some sweats and a hoodie, and joggers, grabbed my car keys and headed alone to this new apartment. It wasn't actually too far from my parents place too, about a 15 minute drive, a new modern apartment block which was not too far from Labrador Beach. I parked on the side of the road and got out to look at the exterior of the building. It was a medium sized building with a garage at least, thank goodness. I wouldn't want the convertible sleeping outside at night. Massive glass balconies with ocean views and what looked like a rooftop terrace. I looked at my apartment keychain and noticed that I was that new owner of the top floor and rooftop terrace, which was the larger apartment in the building. I gulped, I had to start trying to find a full-time job if I ever was going to pay my parents back. I entered into the lobby which was nice and cool with shiny slick white tiles and a mirrored wall. The elevator was also mirrored and I pushed the button for the 7th floor. As I went up, there were a few people that got in and out on different floors. I noticed they were mainly business people and uni students, but seemed friendly enough to greet. I made sure I ran my hand through my sun kissed bleached hair to make sure it wasn't tangly from that afternoon's surf. Finally I got to my floor. I noticed one other apartment was on this floor so it looked like I was going to share the top floor terrace with my neighbour. I didn't mind that at all.

I entered, expecting the apartment to have things in it, but when I walked in it looked like it was still very new. Tiled white floors, a big white and black designed kitchen with a gun metal silver dishwasher and fridge was to one side. Walking further in was a massive living lounge space, that had large sliding doors opened up to a big balcony. My eyes could not widen any further. I headed into the main bedroom off to the left, it was big with a walk in wardrobe, en suite and carpeted floors in the bedroom. There was also. Second room as well. How could my parents afford THIS? This was definitely an upgrade compared to the apartment I lived in with Cass. I made my way out of the room and stood again in the middle of the lounge, my eyes focused towards the big sliding doors, towards the ocean. A blank canvas. This what it was. A fresh start to new beginnings. I suddenly smiled as I remembered the mysterious new bloke I had met on the beach that afternoon. A definite sign of new beginnings.