Chapter 6

Khushi sat up on her hospital bed and stared at the oscillating fan that moved from left to right, she had been doing that for the past half hour. She missed him. She distinctly remembered how she had broken down in front of him and he had comforted her, holding her close in his arms till she fell into deep slumber. She had so much to ask and so much to tell him, but he was nowhere to be found.

While in her thoughts, she suddenly froze when she heard his voice, "Khushi." She looked in the direction of the voice and she saw him standing in the doorway, right outside her hospital room.

"Arnavji..." She whispered, while trying to hide how comforted she felt to see him but her emotions failed her, she could not help but break into a smile after finally taking in his appearance as he walked towards her.

There was something about the way he said her name, she felt like she was the only girl in the world. She took a deep breath and reached out for his hand, he gladly obliged placing his hand in hers as he sat beside the bed.

"How are you feeling?" he asked as he ran his thumb over her palm.

She looked away briefly before answering, "In pain but it's manageable."

He was about to press the button to call the nurse when she shook her head, "It's okay, it's more discomfort than actual pain."

He nodded with relief as he shifted a lock of hair from her face. "I have so much to tell you but I just want you to feel better first alright."

"Hmm, I want to-" she started before they interrupted by a knock on the door.

He whispered, "We'll talk later" before releasing her hand from his hold.

As her father walked inside, she observed he had a bizarre look on his face but she quickly dismissed it seeing it be replaced by an affectionate smile towards her. Arnav on the other hand felt extremely conscious considering the conversation Shashi and her shared the day before. He really needed to clear the air with her father, he owed it to him, he wanted to prove himself to her father and make his intentions clear.

Arnav cleared the air, "I will finish up the hospital paperwork for her discharge and bring the car around to drop you all home."

Shashi politely replied, "Thank you son."

After Arnav left, the medical team arrived for Khushi's final checkup before her discharge.

Shashi went outside to wait for the doctors to finish their work, that was where Arnav found Shashi when he returned.

Arnav spoke announcing his presence, "Uncle, I just wanted to inform you that Lavanya and I are no longer together, we separated mutually and she is leaving our home. And as I told you before uncle, I will not hurt Khushi. I love your daughter." Shashi nodded hearing his words but did not offer anything further as he walked into the room.

Arnav let out a breath before mumbling to himself, "Well that went well...baby steps Arnav."

When Shashi and Khushi got to the front entrance, Arnav's car was already waiting for them. Arnav placed her bags in the trunk and helped Khushi into the backseat. Once both Shashi and Khushi were settled in, Arnav got into the driver's seat and headed to Laxmi Nagar. The journey from the hospital to Laxmi Nagar was thankfully a quick one but awkward to say the least for Arnav, with an observant Shashi sitting in the front seat and an unaware Khushi lost in her own thoughts in the backseat.

Payal opened the front door as Arnav knocked on it. He shifted aside so Payal could see Khushi standing beside her father. Payal had a bright smile on her face seeing her sister, "Khushi..." She hugged Khushi affectionately. Garima and Buaji came to the door and followed suite, hugging Khushi as well. Then Garima performed Khushi's aarti and welcomed them inside.