fifteen

The first week of Dream's training goes smoothly. He enjoys it, and he's catching on quickly. But almost every training session, Dream can spot Kai watching from a distance, arms crossed.

Today, they're practicing near the forest line, under a willow tree. Dream loves this spot, shaded under the willow's yellow leaves and sun rays shining softly through the leaves. The fall will soon be over, but the willows are some of the last trees to lose their leaves.

Dream can see his puffs of breath in the air. He and George pace in a circle. Like the rest of their training, it has been solely body based, no armor and weapons until Dream's training advances.

Dream does a motion with his fingers for George to come at him, grinning cockily. George's cheeks are flushed a shade of pink in the chilly air. He raises an eyebrow and runs at Dream, striking with his left hand first.

On his first day of training George had told Dream that everyone has a signal before they attack, whether it be an inhale or a small step with their foot. Dream has noticed that George clenches his jaw before an attack, as if bracing himself.

Dream blocks George's strike, panting, "That all you got?"

George huffs, his jaw tightening. Dream reads him like a book, ducking his next punch and barreling into George's waist, pushing him into a tree. He wraps his hands around George's neck, not squeezing. It's the first time he's beaten George. "Got you," Dream croons teasingly.

George rolls his eyes somewhat fondly. Dream wants to smile at the notion, but instead he's confronted with confused feelings. His chest tenses, and he subconsciously tightens his hands. From out of nowhere, anger rises in his chest, hating himself.

What is he doing? Why isn't he home helping his family and his people? Why is he here, with his enemy?

Dream doesn't notice when his hands tighten even further, too preoccupied with his swirling thoughts. George doesn't use his magic to shove Dream off him. He pats Dream's arm twice, the signal for yield.

Dream lets go immediately, turning away from George and running his fingers through his hair. His chest is bottled with emotions, ready to explode into a million shards of glass and rip Dream apart from the inside. Vaguely, he hears George gasp for air, coughing.

Once he regains his breath, George asks, "What's going on, Dream?"

At the mention of his name, Dream's hands shake as he curls them into fists. A hand is placed on his shoulder, and George's next words would've been soft and comforting, but Dream doesn't give him the chance to speak, chest erupting with emotion that Dream confuses for rage.

He whirls around, shoving George back into the trees, hardly able to think clearly. George's eyes are wide, but he still refuses to use his magic to subdue Dream. He chokes, arms reaching to hold Dream's face. Dream shakes his head, trembling with unspoken words.

"What do you want, Dream?" George gasps, trying to reach through Dream's barricade.

Dream's chest heaves. "I want..." His eyes stare wildly into George's, slowly loosening his grasp. "You," he whispers, defeated.

George's eyes widen, and he's about to speak when someone shoves Dream to the ground. Kai's hands are on George's shoulders, looking him up and down to make sure he's okay. George's eyes are on Dream, though, still wide.

Kai grasps George's chin, forcing George to look at him. "Are you alright?"

George nods, lips parted. Kai whips toward Dream, grabbing his shirt and he leans down. "You touch him again and I'll kill you," he promises in a whisper.