Chapter 8

The first day is unsuccessful.

Unsurprisingly so.

The cave systems are complex, and it takes much time to get through even a dead end of a cave. Toriko is, much to my personal ire, a rather good swimmer, and didn't get hit by any superheated water jets. In a way, it was good to have him there- anything of a mood went immediately for him, allowing me to check caves faster.

But not fast enough.

He's not happy, but he's not surprised either. I am only glad that he did not insist on returning to the town once we'd exited the water. Instead, he isn't very far, roasting some of the more aggressive fish.

He calls my name when it's ready, but I'm still watching the water. We may not be able to hunt them after hours in the water, but it's still night and very much their active time. Occasionally on nights like this with a full moon, the blue glow of a Marleel's dorsal fin can be seen.

Except I'm not seeing anything at all, even with somewhat enhanced vision.

I'm not so focused that I don't hear him walking up behind me, but he doesn't make to pat my shoulder or anything as if I'm not paying attention. Instead, he just stops beside me.

"Something bothering you?"

"You're... one of those hunter humans, no?"

"Gourmet Hunter. I am. That's how Komatsu and I met."

"When was the last a Marleel was caught?"

"I remember hearing of one a few years back. A group had gotten a really big one. Why?"

"There's no blue in the water. Right now, they'd be their closest to the surface."

"You mean there might not be any?"

I shake my head slowly.

"Not none... just not ready. No fins... no full adults."

The Revivers would never permit the Marleels to simply die out. With all the aggressive species between the depths and the surface, only the most grown make it to the point where a fin can be seen.

"You're saying there's only adolescents in the caves?"

"Most likely a single guarding adult, but yes. You... would need a big one for the chef, no?"

"I would. Komatsu has to serve a big panel of judges this time."

"Give it up. An adolescent won't be big enough or flavorful enough for some... food judgement."

"You're probably right... I'll have to bring something else back after all. Oh, your fish is ready."

Fish...? Right. He was cooking fish.

"You eat it. I don't want to eat."

There's a pause.

"You haven't eaten all day."

"I don't want to eat. When I want to eat, then I will eat."

He drops the subject there, and returns to the fire. I don't follow. The fire is warm, but ultimately it would serve no better than anything else if I were to fall asleep.

Better to stay away.

The thought of eating is... challenging. I remember too well the days of a ravenous obsession with filling my stomach at a pace that never seemed fast enough.

I'm not good around actual food that isn't just the little pickings I gather myself. There's something... revolting about my own appetite. Just enough to get by is fine. Even if I were of a mood to eat anything, I'm not accustomed to the presence of anyone else nearby while I'm in that... mood.