Twelve: Strong Women

"Thanks again for coming, Derek, Sam," Candice says, flashing her straight teeth, as all four of us finally exit the store. She's radiant.

"You know we'll make time for you two," Derek replies.

"So, we're done for today. We'll contact you again for the fitting," Patrick responds, interlocking fingers with his fiance.

"Alright, sounds good," I answer.

We bid our goodbyes. Patrick and Candice take Pat's car, and we watch them drive away.

A couple of seconds later, I also hop into mine and start the engine, glancing in Derek's direction. He isn't moving. He's only staring at me (finally!), hands in his pockets. I arch my eyebrows and roll the car window down.

"Why are you still standing there?"

He scratches his nape. "My car's air conditioner is broken. I had to get it fixed."

I contemplate my next step. Considering everything he's done for me before, I, like a mature adult, set my irritation aside against him. It's not because I want to have some alone time with him. I'm only being nice. Because I am nice.

Sometimes.

"Get in the car. Let's go home."

Derek stares at me for a few seconds without replying.

"What are you waiting for?" I snap. I don't bother concealing the harshness of my tone. I'm still mad. I'm only not that vile to leave him here when we're bound to go in the same direction.

He finally takes a seat in the passenger seat, buckles up, and I shift the gear to drive. The silence between us is deafening, drowning out even the sound of the radio. I can't help but miss our usual banter, the lighthearted arguments, and the laughter that used to fill the air. Why did I even bother asking Derek to join me when I knew it would only make me feel unsettled? I should have known this would happen.

What transpired between us recently--his outrage I'll call jealousy for a lack of a better word--replay in my mind, setting my heart into a frenzy. Calm down, heart. Please.

I desperately hope to arrive at the unit as early as possible, but the heavy traffic is dreadful. Good Lord.

The awkwardness is suffocating, the air too thick, my lungs urgently striving to squeeze out a breath.

I feign a cough. Fine. I'll end this awful atmosphere between us. For the sake of my sanity and our so-called friendship, I'll make small talk.

"Um, so... Where did you stay last night?"

"Just... Somewhere," he mumbles, gazing outside.

I drum my fingers on the steering wheel. "Were you trying to avoid me?"

His eyes glint, a smile tugging his lips. "I was. I figured that you'll need it."

My eyebrows shoot up. "And why's that?"

When he doesn't reply, I eye him sternly. "Derek, please enlighten me."

He gives me another lopsided grin, flicking his gaze at me. "Because... You might begin to fall in love with me."

Thank God we are waiting for the stoplight to flash green because the shock it sends me might have caused an accident.

I hide the redness of my cheeks by looking back at the road. "Arrogant jerk."

"You asked."

"Don't be so full of yourself."

"I am not being full of myself." His tone is flat. "I'm just saying. We don't want that to happen, do we? Since like what you said, I don't really want to be your boyfriend."