Part V

****

The following days turned into a blur, with Wei Ying working day and night on a protection array and Wangji watching over him. He ensured his stubborn soulmate didn't miss his meals and got as much sleep as possible. They both worried about sects and were more vigilant, yet they didn't let it dominate their lives.

Even border patrols were the perfect opportunity to spend some time alone, full of loving kisses and long conversations. There were moments when Wangji felt as if Wei Ying was saying goodbye to him, but one look into his bright, sparkling silver eyes dispersed his worries. They were happy together now. That was all that mattered to him.

"The array is finished, so I'm all yours today. Is there anything you want to do?" Wei Ying asked him during the trip to the northern border. "Anything."

"I already have everything I want right in front of me," he replied, caressing his cheek.

"Lan Zhan! I told you to warn me before you say something like this. My poor heart can't take it!" he laughed into a kiss, but before they could indulge themselves in a passionate kiss, screams and sounds of the fight reached them.

Instantly, Wangji grabbed his soulmate and jumped on Bichen, rushing back to the village. The settlement was in disarray, with several wounded but nothing serious.

"Granny! What happened?!"

"It was A-Ning! He suddenly woke up and started attacking everyone," she explained, cradling sobbing A-Yuan to her chest. "A-Qing and several others went to stop him."

"We need to stop him, Lan Zhan!"

"How?"

"Can you subdue him with your guqin while I remove the remaining resentment? Make sure you don't hurt him too much."

"Don't worry, I will be gentle," Wangji replied, running after him. "I know you can do this, Wei Ying."

"Thank you for always believing in me, Lan Zhan."

Wen Ning was enraged, blindly attacking everyone. He was about to hit Wen Qing when Wei Ying used resentful energy to increase his speed and shield her. The impact threw him on the rock wall. He winced in pain, feeling several of his ribs crack. Not wanting to worry anyone, Wei Ying swallowed the blood in his mouth and stood up with the help of resentment. Wen Qing rushed to his side while Wangji immobilised Wen Ning.

"How bad is it?" she whispered.

"I will live," he replied, his voice tense with pain. "Let's bring your brother back."

"Not at the cost of my other brother's life, A-Ying. Make sure you are safe!" she yelled after him.

Once Wuxian attached multiple talismans to Wen Ning, Wangji changed to moving to cleanse to increase their efficiency. Pleased with the outcome, Wei Ying cut his finger, drew an intricate array in the air, and then pushed it into Wen Ning. Everything became still as they anxiously watched him.

Slowly gentle brown eyes opened. "M-master Wei?"

"A-Ning!" Wen Qing rushed to him and pulled him into a tight hug. Her tears soaked his robes. "I'm so glad."

An immense wave of relief washed over him, realising the tension. His face was ash white, and his eyes dimmed. Unable to hold it back, Wei Ying staggered and coughed up blood. His body leaned forward, straight into comforting arms.

 His body leaned forward, straight into comforting arms