Part VI

****

Days in Burial Mounds always started with a simple breakfast before everyone rushed to their tasks. Their crops were well looked after, and there was always some construction or improvement in progress. Wei Wuxian still wasn't allowed to work, and Wangji was delegated to watch over him after Wen Qing caught him, setting a new barrier.

"Laaan Zhaaan," he whined. "I'm bored. Can we at least check the borders? It's just a short walk. I will be fine."

"Wei Ying has no one but himself to blame," he shrugged, opening his book.

His lips formed the most precious pout, causing his soulmate to drop his book. Long slender fingers rested on Wei Ying's cheek while the thumb gently caressed his lips. Before Wangji realised he had walked into the trap, two rows of teeth closed on his finger, and a warm tongue swirled around it. The burning gaze of silver eyes didn't leave his eyes even for a second. Wangji swallowed hard. It had been more than a week since they were intimate, and he was starved for Wei Ying's touch.

Suddenly, Wei Ying's playful gaze turned into utter horror, and his trembling fingers bunched the white fabric of Wangji's sleeves. "Get everyone inside now!"

"Wei Ying?"

"We are under attack!" he uttered, rushing outside. "I will hold them off as long as possible. You make sure our family is safe. Once everyone is inside, use this to activate the barrier."

"Mm."

Crimson red eyes gleamed dangerously as an eerie melody descended upon Burial Mounds. The area around the settlement was shrouded in thick black fog with red threads running through it.

"Stay inside the cave and protect everyone."

"Yes, Master."

"Thank you for your service, Qianqiao."

"It was my pleasure, Master," she replied softly before disappearing inside the Demon Slaughtering Cave.

Wangji cut his finger and used a drop of his blood to activate a talisman and reveal an intricate array surrounding the whole cave. When did Wei Ying carve and paint it? How many sleepless nights did it take? Once everyone was safe inside, the glowing red barrier separated him from Dafan Wen. It was linked to Yin Hufu, creating an unpenetrable wall.

"I-I can fight, Master Lan."

"I told you to call me Wangji, A-Ning," he said with a gentle smile. Something told him they would never see each other again. "Keep everyone safe, A-Ning."

"Make sure you come back to us, both of you!" Wen Qing called after him.

Lan Zhan rushed outside to his soulmate's side. Their little village was flooded with resentment, blocking the entrance to the cave. Wei Ying looked incredibly pale.

"They have Yin Iron and an army of fierce corpses combined with three thousand cultivators. All of this, to take down the two of us... they really must think highly of us," he added with a faint smile.

Wangji smiled back at him. "Of course, Hangunag-Jun and Yiling Laozu are incredibly dangerous."

Dense walls of resentment slowed down and weakened cultivators. Many of them weren't even able to reach the mountain. They would be forever trapped within Burial Mounds, tortured by vengeful voices. Unfortunately, it couldn't stop fierce corpses. Followed by elders and senior disciples.

Chenqing's clear tones descended again on the battlefield, controlling the majority of puppets and sending them to fight their makers. Meanwhile, Wangji didn't leave his side, protecting Wei Ying from attacks. They stood their ground for hours of never-ending battle.