▬▬ 𝟏𝟎 ∙ 𝝜𝝾𝘄 𝘁𝝾 𝗦𝗮𝘆 𝗚𝝾𝝾𝗱𝗯𝘆𝗲

・ 。゚☆: *.☽

˚✩ ⋆。 ✩┊ 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐅𝐨𝐫𝐠𝐨𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐧 𝐃𝐚𝐲𝐬 ┊✦ ˚ · .

▬▬ 10 ∙ 𝙷𝚘𝚠 𝚝𝚘 𝚂𝚊𝚢 𝙶𝚘𝚘𝚍𝚋𝚢𝚎

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

THAT NIGHT, Caspian fills us in on what they did at training today. They stuck together, as per our instructions, and lingered near the weapons stations.

"The Careers asked us to join though," Caspian says, frowning.

"Not us, just you," Annie corrects.

"Fine, just me. But I declined, telling them I'm already allying with Annie."

"Bet they loved that," Finnick laughs.

"I don't think we're too far down on their list," Caspian responds concisely. "But it's okay, we'll be just fine."

"I'm sure you will." But I can't help feeling unsure, because what'll happen if they do survive? If they both live and it's down to the two of them?

Who will be the one who attacks?

"So tomorrow–"

The phone in the living room begins to ring, and Finnick's cut off. "I'll get it," he says, seeing as Moxie's not here, pushing his chair back. I watch as he answers the phone and his face drops.

"It's for you, Cory." Silently, I take the phone from him and ignore the careful look he gives me.

"Hello?" I say, tapping my foot.

"Ms. Raines." I stumble back a little, surprised by the voice. Snow's voice. "It's a pleasure to speak with you. Shame I couldn't get hold of you earlier today."

"I was busy."

"As I presumed. But the reason why I'm calling, Ms. Raines, is because I have an offer for you."

"An offer or an order?"

He laughs but it sounds more like a sinister chuckle. "Whatever you think of it as, my dear. But I think it's one you can't resist."

"What is it?"

"I have a certain request here in the Capitol. A request for you, which I was too happy to oblige to. This man is a very wealthy sponsor of the Games, who would be perfectly willing to provide for your tributes, that is if you comply."

It's hard for me to swallow, and there's a moment of silence as I wrestle with my options.

"I'll do it." It feels like sealing my death wish, but I tell myself it's for the best. For both Annie and Caspian.

"Tomorrow, while the tributes are training. I will have someone let you know the details later, Ms. Raines. I'm confident you will not disappoint."

"Yes," I say thickly. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight, Ms. Raines. Take great care not to fall short of my expectations... again."

"I'll keep that in mind." I slam the phone down with a satisfying clunk and return to the group, resisting meeting Finnick's eyes.

"Later," I whisper and see him nod out of the corner of my eye.

"So, tomorrow?" Caspian asks, breaking the silence. Finnick seems to snap out of some trance and sits up straighter.