𝖝𝖛𝖎. This Will Be Quick

"ABSOLUTELY NOT," Chris rumbles, his gaze fiery as Matt's inferno. "She's been training for only two weeks; you'll cut her apart."

In response, Valencia just shrugs, letting a lazy smirk rise to her sharp features. Her fingers dance against her leg, and Maeve can imagine what they would feel like clawing across her skin.

"So what if she does?" Kelina breaks in, and Maeve thinks she sees a gleam of her grandmother in the girl's eyes. "The healers are here. There'll be no harm done. Besides, if she's going to train with us, she might as well do it properly, right?"

No harm done, Maeve scoffs in her head. No harm but my blood exposed for all to see. Her heartbeat thumps in her head, quickening with every passing second. Overhead, the lights shine brightly, illuminating the ring; her blood will be hard to hide, and then they'll see her for what she is. The Red, the liar, the thief. The thought makes her stomach twist, her breakfast threatening to come up.

"I'd like some more time observing before I get in the ring, if you don't mind," Maeve replies, trying her best to sound Silver. Instead, her voice quavers. Valencia catches it, of course.

"Too scared to fight?" she crows, lazily flicking a hand. One of her knives, a little thing like a tooth of silver, catches her wrist slowly in an open threat. "Poor little lightning girl."

Yes, Maeve wants to scream. Yes, I am scared. But Silvers don't admit things like that. Silvers have their pride, their strength ━ and nothing else. "When I fight, I intend to win," she says instead, throwing Valencia's words back in her face. "I'm not a fool, Valencia, and I cannot win yet."

"Training outside the ring can only get you so far, Maeva," Kelina purrs, latching on to her lie with glee. "Don't you agree, Instructor? How can she ever expect to win if she doesn't try?"

Salem knows there's something different about Maeve, a reason for her ability and her strength. But what that is, he cannot fathom, and there's a glint of curiosity in his eyes. He wants to see her in the ring as well. And her only allies, Matt and Chris, exchange worried glances, wondering how to proceed across such shaky ground.

"Lady Aella is the daughter of a dead war hero and you can do nothing but tease her," Matt snaps, throwing daggered glances at the girls. They barely seem to notice, almost laughing at his poor defense. He might be born a fighter, but he's certainly at a loss when it comes to words.

Kelina is even more incensed at his comment, her sly nature taking hold. Whereas Matt is a warrior in the ring, she is a soldier of speech, and twists his words with frightening ease. "A general's daughter should do well in the ring. If anything, Valencia should be afraid."