𝖑𝖎𝖎. A Brother for a Brother

[ tw: violence, major character death ]

𝖑𝖎𝖎. A Brother for a Brother

BLIND CAMERAS can protect them for only so long ━ and that time has apparently run out. It starts with explosions back in the corridor. Maeve hears Ixora screaming with every blast, frightened by what she's done and what she continues to do to flesh and bone. Each ragged cry shocks through the cell block, stilling the already slow newbloods.

"Keep moving!" Cyrus barks. Her manic energy is gone, replaced by stern authority. "Follow America, follow America!" She herds them like sheep, bodily pulling many of them up the stairs. Cassian is more helpful, jumping the oldest and sickest up from the lower levels, though it disorients most of them. Weston keeps them from stumbling off the catwalk, his long limbs coming in handy.

America waves her arms, directing the newbloods to the door next to her. It has a big, black C on it. "With me!" she shouts. Her eyes flicker over everything and everyone, counting. Maeve has to push many of them toward her, though they're inexplicably drawn to herself. At least the little girl gets the message. She toddles over to America and clings to her leg, trying to hide from the noise. Everything echoes horribly in the block, transformed into beast-like howls by the concrete walls and metal plating. Gunshots ring out next, followed by Jameson's unmistakable laughter. But he won't be laughing long, if this assault keeps up.

Now comes the part Maeve dreads the most, the part she fought hardest against. But Matt was clear ━ they have to split up. Cover more ground, free more prisoners, and, most important, get them out safely. So she moves through the throng of newbloods, fighting the tide, with Blake next to her. The techie girl tosses the key over her shoulder, and Weston catches it deftly. He watches the pair go, not daring to blink. This might be the last time he ever sees Maeve, and they both know it.

Matt follows behind; Maeve can feel his warmth from yards away. He burns the catwalk behind them, letting it melt, cutting them off from the others. When they reach the opposite door, the one marked "COMMAND," Blake gets to work on the switch panel. Maeve can do nothing but stare, glancing between Weston and her brother, memorizing their faces. Ixora and Jameson run back into the block, sprinting from the onslaught they can no longer hold back. Bullets follow, pinging off metal and Jameson's flesh. Again, the world slows, and Maeve wishes it would stop entirely. She wishes Kol were here, to tell her what to do, to tell her she made the right choices. To tell her who dies.

A hot, almost scalding hand takes her cheek, forcibly turning her away from the rest. "Focus," Matt says, glaring into her eyes. "Maeve, you're going to have to forget them right now. Trust what you're doing."

She can barely nod. She can barely even speak. "Yes."

Behind them, the cell block empties. Ahead, the switch sparks, and the door slides open.