𝖝𝖝𝖎𝖝. Hide That Heart of Yours (Pt. 2)

MAEVE NEVER THOUGHT herself to be naive. She'd always known when to look over her shoulder, when to run, when to not trust someone. That is, until now. Maeve has never felt more naive. She let herself fall in love with a boy that appeared to be on her side, when, in reality, there was no reason for him to align himself with the Guard or with Maeve. He's just like all the other Silvers ━ hungry for power, blazing with lies. It should've been easy to see that Chris would betray her.

No, he didn't betray me, she reminds herself firmly. He was never on my side at all.

Maeve's eyes adjust, seeing bars through the dim light. The ceiling is low and heavy, like the underground air. She's never been here before, but she knows it all the same.

"The Bowl of Bones," she whispers aloud, expecting no one to hear her.

Instead, someone laughs.

The darkness continues to lift, revealing more of the cell. A shadowed shape sits against the bars next to her, shifting with every peal of laughter.

"My brothers and I were four years old the first time we came here. Chris hid behind Astraea's" ━ he spits the name like it's poison ━ "skirts, afraid of the darkness and the empty cells." Matt chuckles, every word sharp as a knife. "I guess he's not afraid of the dark anymore."

"No, he's not."

I'm the shadow of the flame. Maeve believed Chris when he said those words, when he told her how much he hated this world. Now she knows it was all a trick, a masterful deception. Every word, every touch, every look was a lie.

Instinctively, Maeve reaches out with her abilities, feeling for any pulse of electricity, something to give her a spark of energy. But, unsurprisingly, there's nothing. Nothing but a blank, flat absence, a hollow sensation that makes her shiver.

"Is Salem nearby?" she wonders, remembering how he shut off her abilities, forcing her to watch Chris and the queen destroy their family. "I can't feel a thing."

"It's the cells," Matt says dully. His hands draw shapes in the dirty floor ━ flames. "Made of Silent Stone. Don't ask me to explain it, because I can't, and I don't feel like trying."

He looks up, eyes glaring through the darkness at the unending line of cells. Maeve should be afraid, but she has nothing left to fear. The worst has already happened.

"Before the matches, back when we still had to execute our own, the Bowl of Bones hosted everything nightmares are made of. The Great Greco, who used to tear men in half and eat their organs. The Poison Bride. She was an animos of House Viper, and sent snakes into my great-great uncle's bed on their wedding night. They say his blood turned to venom, he was bitten so many times." Matt lists them off, the criminals of his world. They sound like stories invented to make children behave. "Now, us. The Traitor Prince, they'll call me. 'He killed his father for the crown. He just couldn't wait.'"