Chapter 7 - Chatty Co-workers

It was 11 in the morning, and it had been two hours since the start of my shift. I'm already on the verge of collapsing from exhaustion. Today was a busy day, with businessmen, teenagers, adults, and the elderly all getting their daily cup of joe.

"An expresso to go, for Charles!"

"Thanks."

I sighed internally as I handed them their order. Another customer down without making an awkward face or saying something stupid.

I then felt a small nudge on my back. One of my co-workers, Lia came around my side and whispered "Say it louder next time. Like this."

"A Caffe Latte and Caffe Mocha to go, for Bianca!" She yelled for the entire block to hear.

Yeah, no way am I saying it like that. And besides, I thought that my volume was fine. Way to break a man's confidence down.

"See? Like that."

"Uh-huh, thanks..."

"Oh come on, what's with you today? You look down."

"I believe you're mistaking my neutral face for something else." I retorted back.

"Are you certain? Because I believe you're sad because your boyfriend isn't here." She said teasingly.

"Where is he anyway? He's usually here and you would be gushing and would be making mistakes constantly."

"I don't make mistakes constantly," I said furiously.

Okay maybe I do make some mistakes from time to time, but not all the time.

"How is it going for you and your boyfriend? What is it like?"

"What do you mean, what is it like?"

Lia is a young woman. She's an 18-year-old who likes to talk a lot. Mostly during working hours, which is one of the reasons that exhausts me. To my great annoyance, she likes to single out me and only me because I have a boyfriend. I understand her being intrigued and all, but I wish she can understand that I like to keep my relationship a secret.

"To have a boyfriend!"

I immediately turned around to shush her, but she giggled at my actions.

"It's like any other relationship. It's great." I quickly responded and returned to the cashier to await the next customer to come in through the door, which I hope will arrive soon to save me from her questions.

"Aw come, I want to know more than that! What does it feel like to be around a man, when you're also a man."

How the hell do I answer that!?

"It feels as I liked it to be." I vaguely answered.

She stared at me for a moment but didn't get the hint to stay quiet.

"Are you having relationship issues?"

"Me? Wait what!?" I expressed shockingly.

"Aha!" She victoriously pointed a finger at me as if she had won the lottery.

"I knew it! What happened? Tell me the deets." She asked excitingly.

"Lia, I think I like this conversation to not go any further as my relationship is non of your concern." I fired back.

"Oh come on, I can give you some advice. I can help you!"

I stood my ground and stared at the entrance to the cafe, begging for a customer to come in and save me.

"Are you have communication issues? It looks like you do since you're the one who always talks. Like talking to a brick wall?"

"What? Bo said some words to me. Sometimes even a sentence." I said feeling offended for Bo.